Question for those who workout....weight lifters?

I woke up one morning with pain in my armpit and when I massage it seems to be something that travels from the armpit to the outer part of the breast (not radiating pain…but more like pain as I massage along that whole line). Being a woman of a certain age of course my mind jumps to breast cancer. Ack. I’m trying to keep calm so I’m wondering if there is a muscle or a tendon or something that runs along that line that could be tight and just requires some massage and stretching.

[Removed by @System]

2 Likes

I lift fairly regularly and yes that is certainly a muscle that can become sore. I’m not good with names of anything so I could be wrong but I think it’s the pectorals? But I’d say if you have pain for over 3 days, especially if your messaging it, you should probably look into it further.

I felt the exact same thing years back. I had my doctor check, she laughed and told me it was a muscle I developed :joy: but see your dr

1 Like

I thought pectoral but it is more armpit and less chest. If that makes sense. I also thought latisimus…but again, more armpit and less back. But maybe it is a specific area of the muscle…maybe right where it attaches to the humurous.

Anyway, I hadn’t been massaging. Yesterday I tried to stretch (lifted arm over the head a lot) and it seemed to help so I thought “ah ha…muscle”. Prior to that I was focusing on lymph nodes and sweat glands etc. I stopped using my deodorant just in case too.

1 Like

I should add that I saw my dr last year for something similar and I did go for a mamogram and ultrasound and they said it was nothing…likely related to the breast reduction surgery I had several years ago (something to do with fatty tissue and scarring…I don’t recall). This is similar so I don’t want to go through that shit all over again for nothing. But I don’t want to do nothing to find out it was something. Gah. So I’m trying everything that I can at home first and THEN I’ll go to the doctor.

Latissimus is in the back, not the front. If you’re feeling it from the put of the shoulder I likely would be a pectoral strain. However, as always, you ought to have it checked out by a licensed doctor. A quick trip to the chiropractor can answer that question for you in a hurry and more than likely take care of it as well. In the least, if it is not a muscle strain, they can refer you to the right provider.

1 Like

Oh, and Google sucks!! Everything I have wrong with me seems to come up on google as Lupus!! From body pains to peeling skin to hair falling out…Gah.

1 Like

Gemini and Virgo: the overthinkers :smile:

It told me I had ebola. It was just appendicitis.

Thanks. I didn’t really think latissimus but I do often have muscle pain there from my job…and the massage therapists can NEVER find the right spot because they aren’t getting into the pit enough. But you’re right, that’s more the armpit in the back…this is armpit in the front.

I could call my chiro. At least I don’t need a doctor’s referral to see her. I do for physio.

2 Likes

Go with the chiropractor to check it out. I work out regularly with weights and am often sore around where you are talking about. Likely just a muscle, but if it bothers you, get it checked. I am often sore these days, so I get it. And since you had the br surgery, you likely have some scarring that might get irritated.

1 Like

Are you the one that made a “it’s never lupus” comment on another thread?

Also, I personally day wait a couple days before you go anywhere. Most normal muscle pain will go away and most likely won’t come back. Other problems will.

No. When I read that I was going to pipe up “with Dr. Google, it’s ALWAYS Lupus!!”. LOL

Oh, I get diagnosed with MS a lot too.