Quit drinking a year ago, now I want to quit smoking

Hey all!

I’m proud of the strides I have taken with alcohol, but I really want to quit smoking. I get sick at least twice a year with an upper respiratory infection; and they get worse and worse, but I can’t seem to put down the smokes.

I’ve tried the patch, the gum, the vapes - exploring the medication options, but the side effects of those scare me more than anything.

If you quote smoking, what really helped you to do it? I feel like I am reaching that point, and I have been at that point before, but it always comes back.

They say replacing it with a different/healthier activity helps, like working out or a hobby. I’m genuinely scared of the monster I will become without them, but I think I’m more scared of when it catches up with me and my body betrays me like I have defrayed it for so long.

I wanted to ask first hand though if everyone’s journeys with quitting smoking for some inspiration. Any and all I’d welcome. :relaxed:

TLDR; wanna quit smoking - any tips?

5 Likes

Wonderful work on your year sober. I did quit smoking in 07, as my oldest son for his 8th bday asked me to as his present. I was stuck, but I did it.
How? Didn’t buy em, didn’t hang around those who did & I filled my time with my kids more than ever. When I thought about smoking, I did a quick 3 min walk.
Chewing gum at times too.

5 Likes

Congratulations to being sober for a year thats a huge achievement.
I quit smoking a year ago, i still get cravings after certain food like curry or and energy drink but it doesnt last long, or il think about having one, thats still there but not strong its more of just a thought.
I used the patches and for the first month the nicotine inhaler then moved to the gum then the lozenges. So far so good.
This is my 2nd attempt at quitting the first time i lasted 5-6months then started again, i used the patches that time too. So dont give up on the patches maybe try them again- i found the patches actually helped with the bursts of irritability and and the intensity of the cravings.
Good luck you can do it just dont quit trying :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome :full_moon_with_face:
1st tip head over to Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products)
Read this thread.
For me you have done the hard part quitting drink. Stopping smoking is easy.
I smoked 20+ a day for over 30 years. I stopped the easyway with alen carrs 4 day quit smoking boot camp. I am a happy non smoker and now working on quitting drinking. Divide and conquer. :+1::muscle::full_moon_with_face:

4 Likes

I’m with @Leveller in saying have a long look at the grumpy A-holes thread. Many stories and tips to be found there. I quit smoking cold turkey after smoking two packs a day for decades, but I am me and it’s different for all of us. The direct withdrawal symptoms where like the flu (or more modern like covid maybe) and took about ten days to wear of.

After that it was the habit and the mind games to fight. Being together with my peers on a non-smoking forum helped me lots. What also helped me with my mindset was reading Allen Carr’s easy way to stop smoking. Really changed my mind about how I saw smoking and quitting smoking. Not giving something up but gaining something big instead.

Seven years smoke free now. Best decision I made in my life, no joke. I still chew on tooth picks from time to time but that’s just a habit left from smoking. I truly detest the idea now. Never again. Know you can do this. An ddon’t go it alone. We need each other

5 Likes

So happy for you on your year!! That is fantastic!!

The thread others mentioned has lots of info and tips. I quit smoking in 2008 after 30+ years of a wicked addiction. It did take a lot of starts and stops, but like sobriety, keep quitting til it sticks was my motto. A few things that helped me…

1. Always keep quitting, do not give up, even if I gave in, quit again.

2. Sugar free Life Savers…they were!!! Buy lots and suck on those babies.

3. Walking a lot, then starting a couch to 5k…burn off excess energy.

4. My final push, I took Wellbutrin for about 6 months and it helped my final quit stick.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes