Quit or cut down?

Hey everyone! I m new to this society n I m a part time alchoholic…
Not drinking all the time but when ever I try to have a drink or 2… I end up getting wasted. This has happened continuously over the last 2 years of my life. I think i am a functional alchoholic and i am afraid that one day I might become a hardcore one. I m 23 right now and concerned abt my future n the complications alchohol might cause. Please advise me whether i shld quit or cut down ?
Being a new comer, i am hoping for support and advise from the wiser ones. Thank you

1 Like

I think you answered your own question dear. If what you’ve been doing isnt working, it’s time to try something new. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks much. Shld I consider alchohol as recreational substance used occassionaly and forget my past record ? Can i do this by letting go for a long time and then start drinking again responsibly ?

From what I’ve seen, no matter how much time we have sober, once we start we pick up where we left off and usually spiral downhill pretty quickly! It’s great that you recognize you have a problem and want to do better for yourself, that’s a great place to start+

5 Likes

I don’t want to encourage you to drink, but I wasn’t sure either, so I decided to try moderation. So last saturday, after 10 days of sobriety, I met up with some friends. My intention was having 1 or 2 drinks - needless to say I ended up drunk that night. We’re not talking tipsy, we’re talking running naked trough a park and breaking a couple toes while doing so. I also yelled at my friends who offered help and tried to take me home - and I really whish the story ended there. Yep.
I don’t know what kind of drunk you are, but I now know (and should have realized before) that aiming for abstinence is my best option. I hope my story can safe you some trouble, because going out and trying moderation was no fun for me (maybe for the innocent bystanders though) :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Thank you so much. Its the first time I am discussing my problem with someone as i have never shared my personal problems with anyone. But letting it out amongst people like me (with the same problems) is a wonderful feeling. Feeling better now :blush:

6 Likes

This is exactly what i am afraid of. Is moderation not an option any more ? Have I lost the charm of having fun friends by downing a couple of shots ? Was this in my blood from the very start or i made myself like that ?
I have a history of heavy drinkers in my family… Does this run in the blood ?

Hey! Welcome.

You sound a lot like me, friend. I can go weeks without a drink, and maybe moderate it sometimes when I do, but eventually I’ll be getting tanked again when I only intended to “just have a few”. I’ve tried all kinds of “rules” etc but it all goes out the window after a while. Eventually I realized that personally, my life is better and happier without drinking – and I see the truth in it every day.

The only person who can answer your questions for certain is you…but be truly honest with yourself. It’s often said that if you think you might have an issue, then you probably do. Something to think about.

All the best to you.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Is the addiction and the urge to binge all chemical (scientific bodily reasons) or can it be something in the back of my mind which makong me do that ?

Thats so inspirational… thank you so much.
Getting real time support is amazing :blush:

2 Likes

I can’t give you an answer … I used to be able to have a glass of wine and stop, but that ability somehow got lost along the way. There certainly is a genetic factor to alcoholism, but it doesn’t run in every family. Mostly, it’s a comination of factors.
I’m glad both of us made it here, reading the posts of all the kind people here may help you gain some perspective!
I also think “a normal drinker” doesn’t spend nearly as much time thinking and worrying about his using habits or alcohol intake as I do …

5 Likes

Absolutely. I had to gather a lot of courage before speaking out like this and I pretty firm with my decision this time as I quit and relapsed a 100 times before

4 Likes

I guess we’re in the same boat then :slight_smile: you can do it!

1 Like

Yes my friend. We can do it!

1 Like

I come from a long line of alcoholics myself. It killed my father and my aunt. If I had kept going, I wouldn’t be far behind them. I think we are more prone to it but we still get to make our own outcomes and don’t have to follow in anyone’s footsteps. We just need to hold the right tools to do things differently. Glad you came here!

3 Likes

My mom left my father because of his alchoholism when I was a kid. Eversince, i have been living with my mom and have been raised by her single handedly. Seeing the traits of my father in me makes her sad and this is one of the biggest reasons I joined this community today. I appreciate ur support and help

3 Likes

Yup. Very few people start out unable to control their alcohol intake. I was in my 30s when I went from a “normal drinker” to having it rule my thoughts. Like @anon37742172 and others, I can no longer moderate my drinking. I can’t tell you which road is right for you. I can say that not drinking at all is right for me. I would pose this question @The_inner_strength, if there weren’t a problem, would you have come looking for this app? Just a thought. Good luck and welcome!

6 Likes

The only thing I can cut down is a tree. I had to stop drinking completely

8 Likes

I guess i ended up using this app just to get these simple answers which I wasnt able to figure out earlier. This has widened the horizon for me. Thank you @Hope0110

3 Likes

Hi and welcome. I don’t have much to add but if your looking for support and guidance you came to the right place

3 Likes