Quitting cold turkey tomorrow

Hey everyone,

I just signed up here today because I want to make a serious attempt to quit heroin and I could use all the support I can get. There aren’t many meetings close to where I live, and I don’t have anyone I can openly talk to about this problem. I’m terrified at the thought of having to go through withdrawals, even though it shouldn’t be too bad this time. It’s so hard to get anything done in that condition, and I’ll have to take time off from work and studies. I can’t keep going through this, I just want to put it all behind me.

It helps just to talk to people, so while encouragement would be nice, you can respond with just about anything. What are your strategies for preventing a relapse and for coping with stressful situations?

6 Likes

Hello Larri and welcome! :bouquet:
Glad you found us! I’m a alcohol addict so I don’t know about quitting heroin. But I guess you get respond from people here who do. But maybe because of the timezone it takes a while. There are a lot of Americans here and they sleep right now :wink:
In the mean while you can use the search button above and look for old treats about quit heroin.
Hope to see you around! It helps me a lot to come here every day. Today I’m 144 days sober.
I wish you well :heart:

2 Likes

This are the things that helped me so far. Like I said my DOC is alcohol, but maybe you can use some of my tips too:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.
8 Likes

I have been taking a multi vitamin in the morning and use magnesium at night instead.

Is there any extra benefit to taking stand alone vitamin B instead?

I’ve also never taken melatonin, but I’ve read it does help with sleep. I thought the magnesium would help me with this… but here I am 12:00am wide awake. Lol

2 Likes

Magnesium can help because it relax the muscles. But melatonine makes you more sleepy. You can combine those 2.
In a multivitamine is also vitamine B. So I would not recommend using both because then you get to much vitamin B6 in your system. I use a vitamin B complex because when you have drank a lot your B vitamins are very low. I don’t know if that’s the case with heroin. But you have to take good care of yourself. Eat healthy, sleep a lot (try too :wink: )

2 Likes

Hey larri, I am also an herion addict, I loved to use it using an IV, the only thing that really helped me was praying to Jesus, November 12 , 2018 is my sober date, p.s. please don’t get discouraged if he don’t answer your prayers right away, he didn’t answer mine right away because he knew I wouldn’t appreciate my soberity or him if he did, I’m here if you need me. Bub

4 Likes

Buts,
Thank you for your advice. I’m American too, just couldn’t fall asleep for a long time last night. Anyone can respond whenever they get the chance, no rush. I hear withdrawals from alcohol are also brutal. I’m going to try and get as much done as possible before the sickness starts. Stocked up on food and toilet paper, have shows to watch to distract me because I probably won’t be leaving the house for a while. I’ll definitely be checking in here too. I take electrolyte supplements, I’ll look into the vitamin B6 too.

Congratulations on your sober time! Keep it up.

2 Likes

JeffreyDale,
Thanks for the tips! In the first few days, nothing seems to help me sleep. Melatonin, Magnesium, Valerian root extract, even prescription sleeping pills couldn’t knock me out. There’s not much choice but to wait it out. I’m not sure about my vitamin levels, but I probably do lose something from either use or dehydration from withdrawal. Hot showers provide more relief than anything.
Has your sleep fully restored?

Marcus_Tromboy,
Thank you for the support. I’m proud of you for stopping. Don’t look back. I know what you mean - I believe asking for help and praying work only if you’re 100% committed to quitting. I don’t know about you, but there were times where I wasn’t really ready to give up dope for good. Hopefully it’s different this time.
How are you doing now?

I’m clean off heroin myself. If you don’t think you can get through the WD I suggest trying to find a detox center or a rehab. I tried to detox on my own many times with 0 success. I did a medical detox in rehab and it made it a lot easier. Also, some meetings are better than no meetings. As far as sleep goes, well, there’s not much to be done. Good luck

2 Likes

Pretty much what derek said. You have to just wait the sleep part out. it will come back gradually each month. Detoxing on your own at home has a very low success rate. You have to atleast apply yourself and give it hell if your going to do this at home by yourself. If you dont have what it takes as derek mentioned rehab would be a better place to be monitored and detox making it easier on you…

1 Like

Good morning, this app is a life saver. You will be able to find conversations in the beginning to comment on. But they have a trust sustem where you gain more access the more you use the app. So if were you I’d get to commenting on different threads.

Re: quitting…you seem to know what you’re up against but I’m gonna be cliche and say fight for your life…FIGHT HARD!!! You can do this!!! Also find some activities you can do to keep your mind focused/ occupied. Someone on here commented that cravings only last for about twenty minutes, so take pride in your twenty minute battles and WIN!!! Also delete/ wipe your whole phone of contacts and anyone who you used to use with or cop from. DELETE EVERYONE. you owe no one an answer, you only owe yourself. I have found that getting sober is a very “selfish” battle. Take care of your self. Hang in there and always always remember the bad times when want more!!

2 Likes

Congrats on your 144 days🎉

1 Like

I might consider taking melatonin because my sleep is so choppy and my dreams are the weirdest, but at I’m having them. Feels weird to have dreams again. Cocaine doesn’t allow that process for me at night if I sleep at all it’s like hitting a switch. Thanks for the suggestion. I’d never thought to take melatonin!!

1 Like

Hey Larri, how are you doing today?

Hey,
I’m doing alright, thanks for checking on me. I messed up yesterday and took some, but realized that pretty quickly and got rid of it. 13 hours in right now, and I just want to get this over with. How are you?

Hey Englishd,
Good job on quitting dope. How long have you been sober?
I’ve gone through withdrawals on my own many times; the part that seems to always get me is the week after when I think it’s over and convince myself that this time I can use again without getting addicted. Not counting on getting any sleep for a while. I will go to meetings when I’m well enough to leave the house. Thanks for the support.

My clean date is 11/2/17. Even if you could use without getting dope sick there’s no point to it. Try that mindset.

Hi MJ420,
I’ve been posting in a few different threads. Everyone’s been helpful.

Thanks for the tips. I got rid of all the contacts that have anything to do with dope, got rid of any stuff I had left at home, and right now I’m binge watching some TV shows online. I feel disgusting, hate the feeling of anything touching my skin, including myself. Nothing to do but wait.

As for your sleep, melatonin will help you fall asleep (assuming you haven’t taken anything else that would interfere with sleep) and it works better when it’s dark in the room. Try to do calming activities before sleep, and avoid electronics late at night. Valerian root is another natural supplement which helps some with sleep and relaxation.

1 Like

Congrats, I hope you’re doing much better now.
The logical part of me knows everything that’s wrong with using, but there’s another part of my brain which overrides all logic if given the opportunity. I’m so tired of the whole dance, I just want to be done with it. While I know I can make all of this pain and discomfort go away with just one hit, it’s only going to prolong the experience, and the time I spent trying to quit (while taking time off from work and school) would be a waste. Going to spend half my day in a hot shower until I can go back to my responsibilities and hope that it’s enough.