Quitting facebook

14 days in. Thinking I might quit facebook aswell. Some of the shit people are posting from all sides on stressing me out.

8 Likes

I quit for 14 months and didn’t miss it. It’s mostly trash. I rejoined last month to join a sobriety FB group that is local. That’s the only reason. I really think FB and other outlets have done tremendous damage to our society. End of rant.

14 Likes

If you are not sure about quitting Facebook, you do have the option of deactivating your account without deleting it right away, just FYI. I did that as my trial run and discovered there were a few people I wanted to get contact info from before leaving Facebook, so I reactivated my account to get those and then deactivated it again. Now I feel ready to delete it, but honestly I haven’t been able to be bothered to log in to press that delete button. Either way I’m not using it anymore, and very much the happier for it.

5 Likes

Quit FB years ago and have not regretted it.
Was only to be for a year, but felt so nice I never went back and got my account deleted.
I disliked how it was no longer a mechanism by which to stay connected to friends… that part disappeared as soon as curated partial feeds were introduced.
It’s a craphole of advertising, data mining, and manipulated thought

9 Likes

I deleted mine a few days ago. I got tired of coming home, sitting in my recliner, looking at facebook with a beer in my hand. Figured I’d get rid of the most addictive things there is

8 Likes

I deleted facebook 3 years ago and haven’t looked back. It fills your head with unnecessary drama. No thanks!

7 Likes

I would love to quit Facebook. Unfortunately, I have too many pages that control the social aspect of our homeschooling life. All the communication lives there. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Even better is to never open an account on ot :rofl: ive never had an account on any of these “social” media platforms: twitter, fb, instagram, snap, etc. Etc.
Im thinking about deleting my linkedin, which is the only site i have.

4 Likes

When I left FB, I completely deleted the account. I really am concerned the the way data is used. The account I opened I do not post in, but I like that connection to local sobriety groups. It’s needed for now. And I admittedly like Instagram because that is a major source of sobriety blogs/info for me and also #weratedogs is pretty hilarious.

3 Likes

I quit facebook a few days ago. I was on it so much that I live in illinois and I drive to chicago monday through friday and while being on the tollway I was looking at facebook and driving. Yes it’s as bad as drinking and driving. That’s when I decided it’s time for me to finally get off of social media and to stop drinking. Deleting all social media was the best thing I’ve done beside quit drinking. I’m able to come home, enjoy my kids, get things done around the house and binge watch shows with the family.

4 Likes

I’ve been off of it since 10/1/19. Don’t miss it at all.

4 Likes

I used to be a daily fb person but now it’s a few times a week. My mom and sister are the only reason…

5 Likes

I quitted faceache as soon as I started recovery for me it had no place in my journey,it had no purpose to serve

8 Likes

I won’t quit FB completely…for some people it is my only form of communication. And it has also been very useful for organizing reunions with folks that I don’t see often and are living all over the country. BUT I am very picky about who my friends are and what pages/groups I follow or subscribe too. I have removed a lot of “news” pages because they stressed me out. I want it to be my place to keep in touch with people and things I care about.

Heck, I even got rid of a bunch of vegan pages (which I am passionate about) because of the stupid “in fighting”. I have no place for that in my life or in my heart!!

Good luck to you. A smaller on-line presence is good for our mental health, for sure.

6 Likes

@VSue I did the same. I deleted a lot of people, I unliked pages, left groups I didn’t really participate in, unfollowed etc. I also turned off notifications. I set up their timer that I have set to tell me if I use it for more than 1 hour per day. I DO no enjoy it as it is how I stay connected with family and friends back in the States. But I edit edit edit …

3 Likes

Yep. I need a Facebook cleanse. I have a lot of “static” on there.

2 Likes

Back in 2014, i stopped using facebook when an old ex lied to me and i couldn’t stand looking at her profile anymore as she lived her life and i was an audience member to mine and hers.
Didn’t look back… for years.
Last year, sporadically in 2019, i logged in, miraculously still remembering the password and checked up on old friends, then old flames.
Next thing ya know, i found myself logging in multiple times and not being able to get the motivation to work out without watching other people.
Now i know i have a very addictive personality, but i have always got my energy internally, and facebook was giving me the illusion that it was building me up when it was doing the opposite.
I got addicted and i logged on and off and deactivated it so many times, i became addicted to lurking on there.
No more. I left a month ago and am not gunna do that to myself again.
Social media is overstimulation for the brain.
All those pictures, headlines, advertisements for food, politics, games, invitations to parties, etc etc
No one should go through that torture.
Stay away from that cesspool at all costs!
It gives the illusion that you’re"connected" to the world and people.
It’s the biggest scam of modern times

4 Likes

Same here Sue and @Here.I.am. My family is all over the country and we have friends all over the world from our travels and I really enjoy keeping up with them and vice versa. Just yesterday I removed myself from 4 FB groups I was not gaining anything from. I keep my friends to real friends and family and pages are mostly all fitness/yoga, inspirational and sobriety related. FB and here are my online presence these days.

3 Likes

I don’t have FB. I do have my daughter’s on my phone just to keep an eye on her. I also use hers to check up on distant family members.

2 Likes

My mom will never make it back to FL for a visit so I know she likes when I post pictures… my sister just gets jealous, lol… but after a life time of putting up with her (14 months older) I don’t mind a little bazinga! :rofl:

4 Likes