Quitting Nicotine!

Hello, everyone! :white_heart:

Today is day three. Please share what has helped you the most as I move through the peak of my nicotine withdrawal.

Thank you,
Jaymie

:peace_symbol:

10 Likes

Hiya,

My smoking started at about 14/15 I guess so nearly 30 years ago. I’ve smoked rollies, cigarettes and then went on to those fake ecigs then on to vapes . In the middle of this 30 year span I’ve started stopped started stopped, often for years on end.

I LOVED VAPE and I think that has been the hardest to give up, currently nearly 5 weeks off that. Probably because it tastes so damn good… And they know that.

Tips:
Use alternative therapy, lozenge and gum to help the oral fixation shift from the cigarette
Then use patches to help shift from any oral use/nicotine association
Get nice chewing gum to use or nicely flavoured sweets like mints or lollies
Try your best to focus on how good you feel and smell not using.
Try a lot of distractions
Feel proud of yourself :smiling_face:

7 Likes

Was a 60 a day guy but sober for a year and going to the gym couldnt smoke and do gym work was breathless so ,gym won so i stopped the fags that was in oct 1987 ,

7 Likes

Sunflower seeds… lots and lots of sunflower seeds and gum. You can do this :muscle: :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you for all the feedback! I’ve also been smoking since the age of 14. I turn 34 next month. I have unrelated health problems so that has been my motivation to just feel the best I can feel.

So far it has been tolerable cold turkey. I have also gone through periods of starting and stopping so I know I can do it. I had one minor hallucination incident last night, but I read that can happen, especially in conjunction with my other diagnoses. Fortunately I have medication for that. I have also found that I feel hungry but can only eat half of what I used to. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Looking forward to hear more helpful tips!

5 Likes

Here’s a whole thread on this topic!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m also having tummy cramps. I think I have peppermint tea somewhere.

1 Like

Licorice tea is also good for the digestion.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommend.

1 Like

I’ve quit a couple of times. The first time was cold turkey and it was pretty rough for a month. The next time my doctor prescribed wellbutrin and it was easy. Since then I’ve been a sporadic smoker but should quit permanently. Wellbutrin was definitely the easiest way for me. Wishing you well!

1 Like

It’s definitely easier with the meds.

Day 6: Had my first smoking dream last night. :weary:

I started smoking at age 16. Marlboro (cowboy killers we called em). Everyone I hung out with smoked. I decided to stop 40 years into that addiction. It took me a year to wean myself off of nicotine. I vaped to stop. I bought vape juice that had diminishing strengths. Started with the highest strength and slowly took it down to zero. That was 11 years ago. I do remember how great it felt to slay that habit. Wish you well @Jayms1989 .

I used Wellbutrin the first time I quit too. Lasted 4;years and picked them back up. I just quit cigs again 3 weeks ago, but been puffing on a vape here and there to try and curb cravings and ween off the nicotine