Quitting smoking cigarettes/tobacco while also getting sober from alcohol

Hi I’m trying to get sober from alcohol and cigarettes (they go hand in hand for me), but im noticing a lot of sober spaces like AA is heavy with cigarette smokers.

Does anyone have any tips for not wanting to also smoke cigarettes while being in the community? I end up borrowing a square at meetings I go to which leads to me stopping at the gas station on my way home, which leads to another trip out to grab a drink or something. Should I just try to stop drinking first and then once I have a handle on that try to stop smoking later?

4 Likes

Yes stop drinking first.

AA is typical for smokers as they have a separate program for thier drinking. :thinking::upside_down_face:

Look at your path that led you to drinking. Or day to day triggers.

There is absolutely quite realistically no rush to quit smoking - I found that anyway. It will happen when you are ready. :grin::+1:

1 Like

Welcome to TS

I guess you will find a good community in this thread

Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products)

2 Likes

I am also super keen to quit smoking too, very interested to see what others have/do say about it. I didn’t even need nicotine replacement therapies (patches etc) whilst in detox for 13 days and I am now sober 6 weeks and 4 days, but as soon as I got out the smoking increased and I hate it! It’s costing a bomb but I seem to have switched obsessions from alcohol and heavy benzos to upping the nicotine!! Oh, and freakin sugary foods!