Quitting vaping and smoking

So today is the day I finally give in to both.

I started smoking at 13 and carried on all the way up to being 30. Then switched to vaping. Bad idea. My little addictive head loved that even more, down to the tinkering with my vape, and customising it to how I wanted it. Obviously it had to be perfect because my head wouldn’t allow anything else :joy:

When I gave up alcohol 13 months ago I soon realised I am as much a slave to nicotine as I was with alcohol. I’d panic if it was dying, the juice was low, I’d forgotten it, couldn’t find the charger etc etc. It was affecting my everyday life so I knew it had to go. The only problem is with vaping, such little is known about it healthwise. So you automatically assume because it isn’t tobacco its okay.

So I’ve started this thread. I threw all my vaping stuff away yesterday and bought my first packet of real smokes in nearly 4 years for my final day smoking. Guess what!? Just like stopping drinking within an hour I was back to lighting up without thinking about it, no cough, just that fake nicotine high. My clothes stunk, as did my breath, my van and outside my house. Fuck that.

I’m going to use this thread as a diary to hold myself responsible. Any tips, ideas or words of encouragement would be more than welcome. I feel I’m ready to do this.

Here’s to day 1. Or the first 5 mins :rofl::heart::pray:

18 Likes

Yay to 5 minutes :+1::wink::blush: I smoked since I was 12 and hate it, been vaping now for just over a month and i plan to quit that in 5 months time, we shall see. Anyhow just wanted to wish you well, smoking is so pointless and disgusting, harness all those skills you used to stop drinking and kick nicotines butt! :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

1 Like

Good for you man! Same story for me, smoked since 13, switched to vaping. I quit 10 months ago! It was hard and sucked, but totally worth it. Just get through today, that’s all you gotta do!

1 Like

Good luck Sober twin… I quit chewing tobacco about 5 years ago. For me once I was able to get past the first 30 days I never looked back… dont have cravings for it at all now.

1 Like

I started vaping to quit dipping…almost 10 years ago lol. One of these days.

1 Like

I took up chewing when I was in the Navy. I had tried to quit several times but always started back up. One day after about 15 years I woke up and said that’s it I’m done. It’s been well over 10 years and I dont miss it.

You’ve got this!!

3 Likes

Well morning coffee just ain’t the same :pensive: feeling alright, a bit light headed and must admit I’ve thought about my vape about 5 times already this morning and I’ve been awake an hour :joy: was good not fumbling around trying to find my vape though as it usually ends up in bed with me at night. Definitely need to keep busy today!

4 Likes

Day 1 done. Trying my absolute best not to be irritable. I am. Sleep time :rofl:

4 Likes

Well done! When you wake up on day 2, it’s gonna be hard and its gonna suck, but you just got to get through today.

2 Likes

Lue dangit, I need to get on this thread. Meditation’s making me tired of feeling just a little on edge all the time.

Y’know, quitting before I remember this magic thing where it was 9 pm and I was all, “Definitely time for bed.” By 10 pm there was no fighting it. I was down for the count. The second the sun was up I was ready to go.

Gotta get through that crappy part first though. :confused: Again.

2 Likes

Irritability is totally happening :joy: If you can remember that it’s just the nicotine withdrawal then that helps. I used nicotine patches to quit to smooth out the mood swings, more for my boyfriend’s benefit tbh.

I read Allen Carr’s how to stop smoking (whenever I vaped it always went back to me smoking so I consider them the same thing) and the most useful takeaway for me was that caving in to a smoke when you get a craving isn’t really relieving cravings, it’s causing the next craving.

I am just over 10 months nicotine free and I still get cravings although they are easy to dismiss. I would say, if you’re prone to depression then it might be more challenging. I had a really bad spell last year and in hindsight I think it was around the time I stopped having nicotine in my system. I started up smoking after a period of quitting a while ago to help manage a bad bout of depression. Apparently it does have some antidepressant qualities.

Am not saying this to promote nicotine! Just if depression is something that affects you, now is the time to get your support network and coping skills in place… Which I’m sure you have by the bucket load from your experience of stopping drinking :grin:

2 Likes

Congrats on quitting! However you ingest your nicotine dose, it’s a tough one to beat. Withdrawals can be pretty severe for a couple of weeks. First night I quit I didn’t sleep more than an hour or two if that. Irritability, anger, depressed feelings, bloating, flatulence, obstipation, headaches, you name it it can happen. It will all subside though. Nicotine mimmicks neurotransmitters as well as hormones so when you take it out of your system your body needs some time to adjust. Have patience, it will! Success Nick. You can do this!

3 Likes

Also I saw someone recently mention quitnet… I can’t remember who (sorry!) But @SassyRocks also said it was good so that might be worth checking out.

3 Likes

It was probably me ;o). Still an active member there, day 1420 today

4 Likes

Wow guys just got home from work and checked this thread. You really are all amazing. Day 2 fucking sucks. I’m moody and snappy and have a cracking headache. Using my 12 steps from AA to get through the best I can. Food and an early night is definitely needed. I’ll chop my hands off before I smoke or vape again. Might chop my head off first.

You’re all fucking amazing :heart:

8 Likes

Proud of you, it will be so worth it. :+1::muscle::facepunch:

1 Like

Fab post. Depression definitely sits inside me bit I’m in a really good place on that front at the minute. I’m totally aware this is nicotine withdrawal. Almost on a par with giving up alcohol this. All I know is I’m never doing day 1 and day 2 again, fuck that. So my head can either shut up or deal with the fact my hands arent going to give in.

3 Likes

Woke up and felt alright. Still craving but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. Trying to keep hands busy as possible so currently have my daughters unicorn squishe to play with :rofl: so far so good. How I cope in bust spaces later on, I have no idea but right now I’m taking it an hour at a time. Fuck you addiction :facepunch:

4 Likes

I was just wondering how you were getting in :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A lot better today. My coffee intake is through the roof though :rofl:

Meet Dave. Dave’s my best friend in the world right now.

4 Likes