Ready for somthing different

Well, I gotta do somthing different. Not happy with my life right now. Don’t like my job, without a license I don’t get out and see family and friends anymore like I used to. I might as well be drinking again. So, it’s time for a change. Not sure what I’m gonna do, but I gotta do somthing. Suggestions anyone? Any personal experiences?

3 Likes

From my personal experience… they only way for me to be happy sober, and not just be dry, is to work those damned steps. Trust me, it was a last resort. But from what I’ve seen, nature hates a vacuum. When you take something away, you’ve gotta replace it with something equal to or (In this case greater).
From what I’ve read from your posts, youre not interested. And that’s cool, to each their own. Its just that it seems like what you’re looking for is the results that come from a complete overhaul. And thats only way ive personally seen such results occur.
Ive seen acoholics’/addicts’ lives completely explode in sobriety. Because the truth is that alcohol/substances only serve to compound or temporarily obscure our problems, they don’t constitute the problem. The real issue at hand is how we think and subsequently interact with people/places/ and things. There’s a reason i went down the path i did. It made life work. But now I’ve been left with no other options but to burn out or find another solution. Luckily, I’ve found it. And along with it, the once imposible chance to be happy in sobriety
Wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

3 Likes

Right, and I haven’t done the steps or gotten a sponsor because what I’m doing right now works. I don’t think or want anything to do with alcohol or cocaine or opiates nothing. I threw away that part of my life. And its almost like I feel my life now; Job, living in Michigan, the same old same, its still all a part of that old life. Just wanting to take some steps to change that.

I know that feeling. The day i left treatment, i packed up a uhaul and changed everything. It helped. But, id also been a chronic runner, and done that before. For me, something inside of my head had to change.

1 Like

Could be. But i won’t know until i try. I usually do good with physical change. When i got sober i made a change in my physical appearance. Worked out and dropped 40lbs and decided to change back to before my addiction and alcohol abuse (growing my hair long and my beard out, found all my rings necklaces and bracelets) and i felt like a new person for the better. But the post month has taken a toll on me and have been grieving more restless

You’re good at change. You’ve found a way to be sober - a big change. You’ve lost a bunch of weight - another big change. So now maybe it’s time for some other changes. Don’t like your job? Pull your résumé together and start looking for another one. Not sure how long your license is gone or how far you have to travel to see friends, but maybe a bicycle would help. If you’re in a city with decent mass transit, a bike and the bus/train will get you a long way.

If you’re not liking Michigan, make your job search a national one, focusing on cities with good mass transit so your license isn’t an issue.

What I’m saying is that you’ve shown a talent for positive change. Focus that talent on your dissatisfaction and figure out how to fix it.

I lost my license a few years back and had to adjust my whole life as a result. I took the bus to the grocery store, walked half a mile lugging around a bunch of groceries, rode my bike two miles to work and took uber whenever I could in the winter. Believe me, it SUCKED but it made me appreciate my car and being able to drive now soooo much more. You can either use this as an excuse to drink or as a reason to become a stronger, better you. Wishing you the best!

All that’s in the works. It mainly sucks because i live in the sticks so i bike 6 miles to and 6 miles back. A few extra miles a day when I go to AA. And my friends and family live 20+ miles away

Fortunately I’ll never have another excuse to drink. Losing my son will probably be the worst thing I’ll ever go through

1 Like