Ready to get back

I’ve had to reset after a going on a two day drinking binge. I feel terrible, I was loving all the positive changes coming to me with sobriety so I’m not sure why I let myself slip. I can’t wait to get back to it I’d lost 20lbs, had more energy, just was a better person all around but this morning I’m bloated, anxious and look like death! It was just stupid to think drinking again was a good idea, maybe I just got to comfortable and let my gaurd down. Just wanted to share

6 Likes

Try not to beat yourself up friend! Just get back up on your recovery again—your relapse does not define you!! Our disease is a beast and tricks us! Keep your head up. Pray. Reach out (I suck at that and have been doing better). Talk about it to someone or write it down. Also, maybe see a counselor to figure out the underlying issue. That’s something that I am doing to unveil why I originally picked up the drink to self medicate. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

The last thing I say before a relapse is “I got this” After so many days of sobriety I get cocky and think that I’m doing well so what’s a little bit of fun? I mean, I’ve got this far all on my own, right? So it’s totally under control. Haha! Biggest lie ever. The addict knows me best, knows what lies I will believe and lures me in. Thanks for sharing your story, it helps me remember that I don’t “got this”.

3 Likes

A lot of us still have a relapse in us, that we have to go through, before sobriety “sticks”. Mine was 11 months long, broken by a sober day or week here or there. I was still hanging onto the idea of being sober “for a time, to prove I don’t have a problem”. Yeah…I had a big problem.

So, hold yourself accountable, but don’t massacre yourself with guilt. Who did you fail? You failed you. But you need you to get sober. Have that mental dialogue. I pray that you find strength to dig deep, and press on, regardless. Make this just a speed bump: something you have to slow down and think about, to get over without dragging your ass.

Get better at getting better, each and every day!

5 Likes