Reality with people

When drinking my mind for some reason thinks its a fantastic idea to message majority of people in my phone book ill even ring people!
One thing i have noticed sober is hardly anyone will message me or ring me other than a select few which one shows that alot of these random people i message i probably would hardly ever speak to!
And im not to bothered but it shows that we make fake connections with people who actually would never contact you!
Plus the fact i made plans drunks that i wouldnt do sober too like an idiot!
My new sober me has learnt its ok to say no and look after number 1 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That is a huge step! I was the same way…with every drink i seemed to text more people. Looking back, the more I drank, the more depressed I got, the more I craved attention…even fake attention.

5 Likes

Exactly the same for me then the next days were always awful having to check what ive wrote who ive contacted what ive posted and what plans ive said yes to! Awful awful awful!

1 Like

I had noticed that too, I was way more social drinking. I’m beginning to reach out more to people again now, I’ve been sober 8 months and I know it’s a 2 way street. Unless I was drinking, I wasnt reaching out to others either so I’m beginning to rekindle some of those relationships again. The ones that were solely based on drinking I have zero interest in reconnecting to so I only reach out to real and true people in my life now.

Thats great :slight_smile: its far better to have mutual friendship than one way. Ive noticed most the people i spoke to however actually would never reach out to me.
I guess we will see over time but for now i have a small handful of close friends and im happy with that and room for hopefully new sober friends too!

1 Like

I have to tell you, I love how you are looking at it. I personally have a small handful of close friends and that’s who I reach out to. All the superficial relationships have fallen by the wayside and I’m SO much happier this way! You are dead on too about making room for new sober relationships, I love it!!

1 Like

I dont know what happened but something switched and i started to look at things in a more positive way. Dont get me wrong i still get bad days but whos losing out really… not me if people dont want to make an effort aswell then in my opinion im better without anyway!

1 Like

I like this! I think you can get drinks other than coffee in coffee shops :smiley: get what your saying though! And i love a good cup of tea!

2 Likes

With friends I do: coffee, tea, breakfast (or any meal, really!), climbing, walks, bowling, ice skating, watching sports games, meetings, farm visits, fishing, boats, etc etc etc.

For me, it just took rearranging my mindset to find and invite people out for sober activities - I have found that most of my friends really enjoy it, whether they are sober people or not!

2 Likes

You have no idea how many drunk plans I made just to be too hungover the next day to show up… being sober is a real eye opener to authentic connections, friendships, and experiences!

3 Likes

It certainly is! So many times ive dragged myself to things the next day so hungover! Or cancelling all together unable to get up!

1 Like

Life in general is so much more enjoyable and easier without a hangover :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yep 100% and your not wasting entire days too!

Here’s a really sobering idea! You can do any thing sober that you did drunk. Plus, it’s much more enjoyable!

Minus the regret, shame, guilt, hangovers and just making a total drunken fool of yourself.

1 Like