Realizing something changed

Here i am made it 26 days sober just got back from an eclipse trip and stayed sober around other drinkers. Missing the happy hour moments and being annoyed at the way bartenders look at me ordering just water. I realized something this weekend… that this is not just about being sober its a lifestyle change.
I was always so focused on being sober plus still be a functioning adult that i am now realizing my life is changing. I am not wanting to hangout with some people, i am not having the same interests, my friends and dating life may not look the same. I seriously feel like I don’t know what i am doing but it feels like i am doing something right. I am not as scared i will drink as i am more scared of what the future might hold as i become a new person really. Thanks for reading, i have tried to be this far for a long time and I wouldn’t be able to do it without support.

12 Likes

This is definitely an interactive,learn as you go,everything you think you know,you don’t type of experience.

2 Likes

I sobered up and realised i am actually a golf club. A sand wedge to be exact. Pretty crazy feeling realising you been living life and then bam it is like damn. I should have been in a golf bag this whole time with the other golf clubs.

So i totally understand what you mean.

Yep, it’s a lifestyle change, and one that you’re learning to appreciate! Enjoy it! And when you’re tempted, remember your enjoyment of it.

It’s a great thing.

2 Likes

When you choose to live a sober life, you get more clarity in every aspect of your life. What once seemed fun or what interests you had before, may no longer apply to living sober. I think it’s a great feeling, it’s a feeling of growth and evolution into a new stage of your life. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree with everyone’s comments here. I find that I tend to always go for the same kind of guys, which hasn’t worked for me so far… and I think that some of that has to do with alcohol as well as low self esteem. It’s an interesting transition learning things that I enjoy doing that I might not have realized had I continued thinking that social lives revolved around drinking. That’s how I grew up but if I ever reproduce I’m glad I’m making these changes now because I’m learning there’s a whole world of things that people do out there that don’t involve alcohol.

2 Likes