Really anxious and worried

So I haven’t drank alcohol for 50 hours now I’m getting anxious wondering if I’m going to be ok and over the worst of it I feel really funny in the sense I am jittery and just generally anxious

That’s totally normal. The anxiety in the beginning can feel overwhelming. Remember why you decided.to stop drinking. Write a list of what drinking took from you and all the things you can do now that you’re getting sober. And breathe. Remember that all feelings pass, and just because you think/feel something doesn’t mean you have to act on it. Thoughts and feelings pass. Try not to feed them. You can do this. You’ve done almost 50 hours! You can do 50 more!

2 Likes

I was nearly jumping out of my skin the first 48 to 72 hours. It wasn’t because I wanted a drink but because my body did and change in habits. I took a walk every time it got too much. It sometimes led to 4 or 5 walks but it worked for me. I’m on day 11 now. Drinking made me B12 deficient so I’m taking a heavy duty B12 supplement and hitting the gym 3 days a week. I’m sleeping 6-7 hours a night on my own now too. Keep at it girl! It gets better. Your head gets clearer. The anxiety lessens. And you start feeling healthy and wanting to do better. Just remember it’s a choice and the choice is yours to start making healthier ones in the moments you are craving to make them pass. It’s essentially retraining your brain and body.

1 Like

Absolutely normal. My first three days were terrible. For me, it got a little better each day after that - although I had a wretched headache through day 5. Stay strong and keep pushing through. The good news is that you only have to go through all the bad initial stuff once if you stay sober.

1 Like

I’m day 5, and my anxiety has caught a little break today finally. Just remember to breathe. What @Hope0110 said is 100%, remember why you chose to start your sobriety and stop drinking. Feel free to message me whenever if you need an ear!

3 Likes

Today is my day 3 and the anxiety is staring to diminish, thank god! I like what Hope0110 said about remembering why I decided to stop, and making a list of what I can do now. It’s definitely a mind over matter thing - being able to focus on something else for a change!

3 Likes

Great job on your day 3! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Congrats on day 3! Every morning I wake up sober, I count my blessings and work towards staying sober that day. Today is all there is. I struggle with this concept, but I just keep on keeping on. You can too!

2 Likes

I love this!

2 Likes

Great job on day 5! You are working so hard. And you are so encouraging to others on here. Well done!

This app is amazing!! I can honestly say that I wouldn’t have made it through the 2nd day with out it and all of you guys!!

2 Likes

Thanks guys your all like family to me x

4 Likes

Well done mate- you’re in the right place for support. Keep strong and remember your overall goal to be alcohol free. If you’re from the UK and watching footy remember in the morning you will feel better alcohol free :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi Kells, well done for coming this far! Hang on in there, the anxiety subsides after the first few days. Remember that these feelings are caused by the lack of alcohol but also because of it, so try not to pick up if you feel especially anxious, this will only prolong the process.
Stay strong, you can do this!

1 Like

Thankyou xx

1 Like

I feel the exact same way❤.

2 Likes

Yes anxiety is the worse feeling because the symptoms seem so real. We become hyper sensitized to sound, touch, movement and awareness of our bodies and then we rack our own brains constantly telling ourselves something is wrong.

Try taking deep breaths and lie down with your feet up when you feel anxious, also call a sober friend.

Take magnesium as it is known to reduce anxiety and increase energy. Have a magnesium salts bath 3 times a week, drink plenty of water and take vit c. Most of all talk, tell people your trust how you feel. When I get anxious I am straight on the phone if I am by myself. Hope your okay and stay strong

2 Likes