Recent relapse. Any tricks to stay positive? 😊

I am on day 5 after an extremely terrible one day relapse after almost 6 months sober.
Put my job in jeopardy and I am now waiting to see what the consequences of my actions are going to bring for me. (I would be lieing if I said I wasn’t terrified and having multiple emotional breakdowns during these last 5 day)
BUT
Taking it one day at a time and not letting the fear of what’s coming take me back to a bottle for fake comfort. I have to own my actions and then turn the page to a better chapter. :blush:

First time poster. Glad to have finally found this app.
Thanks for reading.
Any encouragement or people who can relate, would love to hear from you guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Welcome, glad to have you! 14 months here, and this forum has been really helpful in my getting to this point. Hopefully it can help you, too!

Good work not letting your relapse and the subsequent shitty feelings get to you. It’s over and done with, time to move forward. Good for you!

I think it’s important to take a serious, honest look at the lead-up to the relapse – internal and external factors which may have contributed to it. Once that is done, you can put things in place to prevent it from happening again.

6 months sober is nothing to sneeze at, it shows you have the tools and resolve to achieve sustained sobriety. Just have to keep building and get back to it!

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @Amanda.S
This is a great place for support and encouragement and loads of information.
It’s my first stop every morning.
Glad you are here!!

4 Likes

Thank you very much.
Over these past 5 days I have sat down with myself and been extremely thorough in looking at, admitting, and understanding where i faltered in my self care and in my program. All the warning signs I ignored and things I should never have tried to fight through alone.
I have learned a lot aboutbmyself and grown quite a lot these past 5 days. I hope that this event has opened my eyes even more to who I am and what I can handle aswell as the things i should never try and handle on my own.
Again, thanks for your reply! :blush:

5 Likes

I go to AA and get my positivity from all the wonderful folks in the rooms

4 Likes

That’s the spirit.
Glad to have you here. Stick around!

1 Like

Hi Amanda and welcome,
I was in your shoes ones. I was sober for 5 years and then started to drink again. Thought I was cured and could drink normal again. It worked for a few weeks/ months and then I was back at my old “level” of drinking.
You only “missed” one day instead of my 1,5 year of drinking. Hope that encourage you :blush:

Almost 11 months sober now.

5 Likes

@Amanda.S stay the course and stick around. There’s a ton of people here who are in the same boat as you. (Im on day 4 after a recent reset) reach out for help, or to rant or vent. We are all here for you, rooting you on and have your back!

1 Like

Welcome! It’s impressive that you’ve turned right around and immediately gotten back to sobriety. I think that’s definitely something to be positive about. Those six months have given you strength that one slip can’t take away from you.

Fingers crossed for your job, but try not to worry (easier said than done, right?). Stay strong and everything will work out alright.

2 Likes