Reclaim The Day!

I believe one of the most exciting things about sobriety is reclaiming our days one day at a time! We can replace being drunk/intoxicated and hungover and full of regret with amazing and fun times.

I was just wondering, what are some of the things you all have done with your reclaimed life? It can be anything from the extravagant to the simple.

My example is tonight. Historically Thursdays are a heavy drinking night for me (I don’t work Fridays), but tonight instead of drinking myself into a coma, I enioyed a family game night with my kiddos and read them a fun bedtime story!

What have you done with your time? To those that are further along in sobriety: is there anything you have done or find yourself able to do that would have seemed impossible or unlikely before your sobriety?

Hopefully this can be a good positive thread for sharing how we are enjoying the time the our addictions once took from us!

10 Likes

I had a golf outing today with a new company that I started with about 4 months ago. Myself and one other out of 16 people where the only two not drinking. This was huge for me. I was asked why I wasn’t drinking and was honest by saying I used to but I liked drinking too much so I had to make a change. (Felt great to be honest). Not only did I actually golf better but I got home didn’t go to the 19th hole with the others but rather spent the evening making dinner for the family and swimming with my kids in the kiddie pool, 90 degrees here. I have to say one of the best sober days I have ever had. (In the past I would have tried to line up rides after golf or stopped at a liquor store). Now with the weekend time to build a giant sand box!

7 Likes

I’ve discovered I have a lot of patience now that I’m sober. I sit with my daughter and do legos and puzzles. I can now sit through a movie at a theater and actually watch it. We go out more often for dinner, lunch and walks. I used to be too hungover and lazy to take my daughter swimming so I would send her out to the pool with grandma. Now I actually enjoy going swimming with her.

7 Likes

Lego’s are great for keeping your mind from thinking about your doc

2 Likes

Spending real time with my kids, and actually being present and participating in what they are doing. Reading bedtime stories together, cooking, baking, making pillow houses, having alcohol free kids movie nights with snacks. Playing outside doing small expeditions where we’re living and doing things I didn’t get to do when I was a kid.

2 Likes

I love going for walks with my daughter and dog I get so much joy from being outside with them without technology! Cos it’s time spent talking to my daughter I could hardly looking after myself in addiction not alone have a dog to be responsible for !

2 Likes

I am definitely with all of you, I think more quality time with the kids is what I look forward to the most!

3 Likes

I cannot remember the last time I was able to wake up on Friday not hungover and with energy and motivation! I am definitely in the mood to make something of this beautiful day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome!!
Imprint this feeling so you’ll always remember…:blush:

1 Like

I filled today with family time, fun, and also some productivity. It was nice to get to projects thst I have been putting off for a loooong time. I hope you all filled your days well too!!

2 Likes

Day 3. Spent a great night with my kids movies and bedtime stories. Was actually there in my mind. Feels great.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great night! It is awesome to really be present with the family!

1 Like

I feel confident in my ability to focus and be present in the moments of my life. Today that included a happy reunion, a nice walk on the beach, and gelato. Knowing that I’m fully here and present actually removes a lot of anxiety about details and planning. A great day!

So glad you had a great day! Gelato sounds really good too!

1 Like

One thing I have gotten into since I started my journey is trying to get my big tail in some type of shape! Did day 3 of my 30 day workout plan today, loving the new energy!!

2 Likes

Is anybody doing anything fun this weekend? So far I am down 10 pounds on my exercise plan, thinking about doing some hiking and grab some fresh veggies from a farmers market. I have one of those air fryers that I have been trying new recipes in, I love that thing! Let me know what yall are up to this weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this thread, thank you for this.

I’m still only 17 days into my sobriety so just starting to look for new routines and ways to spend my time. Tonight I will be cooking dinner and going to bed early with a book instead of getting drunk (my previous behavior) as early tomorrow morning I will be doing a boot camp exercise class in a local park. Have signed up to 3 a week. Hoping this will help keep me on the straight and narrow, and get me fit too!

3 Likes

Awesome, I am exercising more now too, it definitely helps me because when you work out you sleep better and it seems I just naturally want to make better decisions for my body. Good luck with the workout plan!

1 Like

I was talking about hiking and stuff in here, I am super excited to check out some of these trails in the Shenandoah area starting 1 week from today :slight_smile: Gearing towards shorter hikes because my kiddos will be with me, but should still be a lot of fun and I found some that go to waterfalls so they will love it! Anybody else enjoying any hiking or other outside activities while they reclaim the day??