Reconnecting with God

So when i was younger i believed in God and Jesus and the Bible etc. I went to a youth group for a few years ages 10-13 but i stopped going when i was 14 due to something that happened to me.

We had a sleepover and a friend of mine assaulted me that night. We were sleeping right next to each other and she just started touching me while i was asleep and I tried to shove her off but she was older and stronger than me and I couldn’t stop her.

That incident happened in our church. I stopped going soon after that. I lost faith, i was angry that God would let something like that happen to me even after all the shit i went through as a kid.

Recently in my sobriety, especially at meetings, i hear about trusting in a higher power. And my higher power is Jesus. And today I went to church for the first time in years. It was a different one than where i once went, but it felt so warm and welcoming. I missed that.

It might not seem like much, but after being hurt in a church and going through all that stuff being in one again without being scared was nice. It felt like a good step for me, that even though that “friend” broke my trust and hurt me it still wont take away my faith.

8 Likes

I am SO SORRY that happened to you. I find it amazing the strength it must take to get back in there and try to connect to god again. It’s been awhile since I’ve been to church too. Keep at it I hope it brings you peace.

1 Like