Recovering while in a relationship

I’m starting to get the idea that maybe when my spouse and I are at say a party or bbq that I’m being a fun sponge to him
We use to drink together a lot and now that I don’t I feel like there’s no place for me at these functions where people are drinking and having fun
So thinking about leaving before everyone gets too drunk and let my spouse have his drunk fun with other drinkers instead of worrying if I’m bored ?
Advice ? Or thought?

7 Likes

I think that’s a good idea. After a certain point in their drinking they are just annoying anyway, lol.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think that’s a good idea. I would recommend letting him know that’s the plan ahead of time so that you don’t tell him once he’s already had a few. Of course everyone is different, but we know alcohol can make people take things the wrong way is all and it could cause unnecessary drama haha

2 Likes

This is how I knew I couldn’t be in a relationship, bc the guy I was seeing, was mentally holding me back. In ways I couldn’t see until I took a step back. But I do believe that’s why I ended up relapsing over and over.

I think that’s a good idea. You have to guard your sobriety and if that means leaving early then so be it. If you’re not having fun, go home and do something you enjoy whether that’s taking a nice bubble bath, reading a good book or watching a movie. Think about yourself and find things you enjoy.

2 Likes

Do what makes you comfortable. You are not obligated to stay the entire time. And plus I’m sure your spouse will understand. Bring a dip and chip some ginger ale or lemonade stay for a bit and go. Have fun either way. :blush:

1 Like

That’s a great idea, or even better find some sober friends and hang out with them when he wants to go drinking.

1 Like

Well you do what you feel is right for you. Just remember that you can have fun as well. Just because you aren’t going to end up drunk at the end of the night.
But I do know that there is nothing more annoying than drunk people keeping on asking if I’m alright and telling me I can’t be having fun because I’m not pissed.
Do what you want to do, and see where life takes you. My wife and I used to get drunk together. Big big part of our relationship has now stopped.
We are still having fun together though.

2 Likes

I agree @Lisa07. Sometimes we have to guard our sobriety. I’ve known some awesome people at parties and bars that tell me that they don’t drink and opt for soda. They’re so much fun and full of life! But they are usually very very far into sobriety. I think if it’s early on, be careful.

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering how I’m going to handle this, we drank every weekend before I realized I had a problem a year ago, at the same time we found out she was pregnant. Now we have a new born and she hasn’t mentioned wanting a drink, but she’s only 22 so I’m sure it’s coming. I’ve been around beer drinkers plenty last couple weeks and haven’t had an issue with it so hopefully when she decided to have a drink it won’t bug me and I can be supportive and not a buzz kill. She’s not the one with a problem so she shouldn’t feel guilty for a drink here and there

2 Likes

Don’t worry about things that “may” come around. Things change for you (and her especially) when there’s a baby involved. Drinking was the last thing I wanted with a baby!

2 Likes

One thing I suggest that you keep in mind is that “normal” people don’t drink/use like we did. They can have a glass or two and they are fine with that. So while you might be thinking that everyone is getting trashed because that’s what you did, they very well may be just sipping on the same glass of wine all night. Plus I have found that I am so much more fun sober, I can articulate without slurring and being redundant!! I wake up the next day(I wake up the next day(。•̀ᴗ-)✧) feeling good and I REMEMBER how much fun I had. Give yourself a break, you can still be the life of the party, just give yourself a chance. Or go home and run around naked and sing the Carpenter’s since no one’s there to watch. Best wishes, you got this.

1 Like