Recovery is hard. Regret is harder

A few years ago my husband of 8 years just up and left me out of nowhere. Single mom… 3 girls and no job skills. I was devastated and a sweet charming man came into my life said all the right things made me feel things my ex husband never took the time too… We moved way to fast we married quickly and not long into the relationship he started using again… I had never done drugs in my life. It didn’t take long before the physical violence and constant accusing began. He cheated on me at least 7 times in a year that I know of. I began to drink and use as an escape. I was scared to leave but i got my kids out of the house. Before I knew it i had been drinking way more than i care to admit… The violence escalated. I’m not going into detail bc the things that happened arent something I want on a public forum. (I’m fine with discussing one on one if anyone needs to) I was a slave to my DOC and the abuse i was convinced i deserved. Finally I was done. I decided we had to get clean and sober. He didn’t want to. I lost my house, my kids, my husband all within a week of walking away from my addiction. It was so hard to keep moving forward. I had some slips at first but I am now 37 days sober I went through full on alcohol DTs on my own… I found an IOP and a CR meeting to go to. And ive been at my new job for 2 weeks now and I love it. I always tell myself baby steps are still steps. As long as you are moving forward it doesn’t matter how fast you get there. Don’t let you past steal your present.

23 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing that. Your strength and determination come through on your words❤️ so glad that you are here and that you are now safe💛

1 Like

Thank you, Kayla. So grateful for your share. I struggle with regret, guilt and shame. Wishing you all the best in your recovery journey.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Im trying hard I have 3 girls and I’m supposed to show them how to be good women and what is acceptable in a marriage etc. I haven’t been a very good example the past 18 months but I’m changing that. My daughter said she wanted to grow up to be like me and it was a gut check.

Hey…a gut check listened to now is better than the alternative isn’t it? I don’t have any kids…but my god…as I got sober, and I started acting in a way that I could be more and more proud of??? That was the greatest feeling in the world. Congratulations every sober day on being/becoming that version of yourself.:pray:t2:

Thanks so much for yhe encouragement. My girls deserve the world and I Had to escape the one I was in to be able to provide it.

2 Likes

You deserve it too mama💛
And you deserve to be sober

@ELY83 I have to remind myself that. Mostly have to remind myself i don’t deserve to have someone put their hands on me and imagine how I would feel if it happened to one of my kids.

1 Like

7 Likes

Ain’t that the fucking truth, Recovety is hard,
I know how to get drunk, that’s easy, not getting wasted, that’s the hard part.

Regrets we all have them we made mistakes, we put our substances before everything,

But you have Today to make a change, today to do the right thing, for today is all we have,

As far as dudes, let me tell you I’m a great talker, I can talk you into almost anything it’s very powerful, I learned after dozens of disasters I created, I’m not gonna be that person anymore, I can’t it’s not fair. I don’t want to give false pretenses or hope, as much as I don’t want to receive them. The power of words is amazing, the power to keep a promise is even better

2 Likes

Sorry to hear your going through this but you will get back on your feet and become the person you want to be day by day ! It seems like things are going great and that is very true as long as we keep moving forward nothing can stop us

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

That is quite a triumph story, certainly a lot to be proud of my friend! I hope your road continues to get even better and life smiles on you! Keep up the good work and celebrate every baby step you take!

Thanks so much. I’m so glad that I becane active in this forum. Its been a huge support

1 Like

I enjoy it here too, I will be sure to send plenty of support when I see you bragging on your progress!

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Wow, what a difficult and awful road you’ve had to walk. But look at yourself! Here you are, still alive and moving forward with your life. What a powerful story you’re living, and encouraging the rest of us as you go! Thanks for sharing all this. I wish you the best.

1 Like

Thank you… I’m just trying to make it to 90 days. Short term goals are key for me right now.

1 Like

I believe you can do it! I’m sure you have heard this a lot already, but, “One day at a time!” Cheering you on!

1 Like

Welcome and thank you for sharing. Great group here. Build your sober tool box and make everyday count. Wishing you all the best and continued luck on your journey.

1 Like