Reflections on day 1826

5 years ago, I was literally circling the drain. We’d recently returned from a vacation in the Keys. I thought it had been enjoyable. Little did I know that my wife was mentally and emotionally letting go. She’d asked me not to drink while there and I had said I wouldn’t. That promise lasted all of one day.

I’d always been a heavy drinker for as long as she’d known me. We’d met not long after I’d left the Marines. I didn’t drive drunk, drink during working hours, and wasn’t abusive. I just tended to over do it on a regular basis.

I ignored the toll it was taking on my health. I ignored how each drop of alcohol I drank erroded who I was, and worse, the respect my wife had for me.

Then my mother died. I tried to drink the grief away. I used this as a shield against my wife’s requests that I do something about my drinking. It got worse and worse. As soon as I was “off the clock” I started drinking and didn’t stop until I passed out. Every single night. I was losing my wife and daughter, and was so wrapped up in my grief and drinking, I didn’t even care.

It was a Sunday. I withdrew to my basement workshop right after we got home from church. All I wanted was to be alone with my bottle. I was passed out in a chair by 2pm. Wife woke me up at 6pm and asked me to help cook dinner. I said “no” and went to bed.

The next day, I was getting ready for work and saw her looking at me. It wasn’t anger or frustration in her eyes. I’d seen those enough to know. It was a sad surrender, and I realized I was losing her. In that moment, I was convicted. I was guilty of being an absent husband. Didn’t matter that I earned good money. Didn’t matter that I didn’t cheat or be abusive in any way. I was absent. I wasn’t a partner or helpmate. I’d become a drunken roommate, and this only worse because I was an absent father too.

That was the moment I said, “no more, never again” and meant it. I’d rather die than see that look in my wife’s eyes again. That was 5 years ago. Much has happened for us since, most of it good, some of it great, and a bit of it bad, but we went through it together. Many sober vacations too, with only good memories, and no regrets.

Some of you were here on my day 1, and I’m eternally grateful for the welcoming and support I needed in the beginning. Some of you met me later in my journey, earlier in yours, and I am thankful for the sharing on our respective walks.

Today I won’t drink, because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker. It’s who I was always meant to be. It just took me a bit of living to figure this out, and everyone I know and care about is better for it, mostly me!

39 Likes

Congratulations Stevie. Wish you and your family all the best on your ways. :stars:

4 Likes

Congratulations! And thanks for this great post. I am glad to meet you around day 1825. I aim to post something equally awesome on mine.

5 Likes

Fantastic! Congratulations on 5 years! :tada:
Thank you for all your amazing contributions to this forum and showing us how it’s done.

4 Likes

Knew your 5yrs was coming up. Proud of you, and thank you for your help to me specifically as well as the general wisdom you bring to the community.

4 Likes

All of your posts are so well written and show so much reflection and thought.

Huge congratulations on 5 years and thank you so much for allowing us to share the journey with you!!!

Ever since I joined the forum 2.5 years ago you have always been a constant helpful presence. I’m honored to be on this sober journey with you!

3 Likes

Congratulations m buddy well done

3 Likes

Congrats on 5 years! Thank you for sharing your experience, strength, and hope

3 Likes

Steve - I am so happy for you! Your willingness to share your path with us has been an undeserved honor. You have made yourself available to others here, and your service here has not been unnoticed.

I heard that same resignation in my wife’s voice the day she bailed me out of jail for the last time, and I’d be lying if I denied it was a huge motivator for me to get sober. I don’t know too many angels with wings, but I recognize the earthbound ones all around us.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure your journey to, and through sobriety has made you even wiser.
You draw parallels and find perspectives which makes sense not only to yourself, but to others. That you share this is of high value.
CONGRATULATIONS!

3 Likes

Thank for being here with us @Yoda-Stevie - you’ve helped me so much and I’m so grateful, thank you :pray: well done on your 5 years sober thus far

1 Like

Congratulations on 5 years well deserved, sir. And by and large full years, from all tellings.

More than that, thank you for your wisdom in all this time. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast indeed… Cheers, brother.

1 Like

Smashing it! You’re a great person! Congratulations on your journey, wish you and your family the best!

1 Like

Ah!! Congratulations on your 5 years!! Thank you for sharing your journey and wisdom!! :heart:

2 Likes

Such respect for you ! :star2:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your very important experience. It is an inspiration and I am grateful for what you have shared. Congratulations on your 5 years. And I love that you have built an identity for yourself that indicates you won’t drink because you are a non-drinker.
Peace!

2 Likes