Relapse after Day 290

Sometimes I just don’t get it…Made some great strides this year and lost it all because of a stressful day at work. The problem is, I’m stronger than that, and better than that. Back to this website, because you all are so awesome. I know things will turn around. Just a little down on myself today. I’ve done this before, and I will do it again. Thanks for listening…

13 Likes

5 Likes

You lost a day, not it all. You still have 290 sober days. This proves you can say “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink. You just need to do better at saying “no” to the hardest person to say “no” to…yourself.

You’ve decided to be better, and 290 days later you are better. Reset, recommit, and get back on the path. It’s right where you left it, and you haven’t wandered far. Get better at getting better.

19 Likes

You know how to do it and you are doing it: getting right back here and getting yourself back on the saddle.
Sometimes live is 3 steps foreward and 2 backwards. But you are still going foreward!! :facepunch:

3 Likes

Hang in there. You can recharge and go on.

2 Likes

Drank once in 10 months, that’s impressive in my eyes. I know that’s not exactly the goal but nice work none the less. Day eleven myself.

4 Likes

Bless you… at least u r getting back on track and learn from it … your amazing for getting so far … you can do it again x

2 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie, thanks for the encouragement. Each time I reset, I am kinda bummed. Just looking to make an entire year, ya know? Anyways, I told the hubby to toss the rest. Just don’t want that temptation at home. Problem is, we are going to Vegas at the end of May for my bday😭

1 Like

@NH603, it gets easier each time I reset to get back on track. If I can do it, you can too. I was suffering for over 9 years and managed to finally pull the reins on this thing!

2 Likes

Thanks @SoberWalker. Normally I fall off the saddle and get dragged for miles! :joy: I am already over my little weekend “boo hoo for me” episode. Thanks for your encouragement…

3 Likes

@Natnat, I truly believe this is an adventure of learning more about ourselves. I knew what I was doing, and felt immediately guilty. Learning more everyday!

3 Likes

I know how you feel. It’s discouraging. I had over 300 then tested the water because I thought I could drink normal. Boy I just drank 9 months of my life away because of one trial run. I hate knowing that I’m THAT fragile that I couldn’t just pick up where I left off. So my personal advice would be don’t get past the point of no return. Pick up and keep moving forward.

Team day 1 :hugs:

8 Likes

Why is it a problem, or moreover, why is it a bigger challenge than any other day? It is only a problem, if you allow it to be so.
Maybe consider it a challenge, rather than a problem. Perhaps a bit more challenging than every day, due to the environment, but not an insurmountable challenge.

Remember, you have the power of “no”. You can say “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink. You’ve done it many times, and know that it works. You can.

2 Likes

I don’t care if one has 5 hours, 5 days, 5 months, or 5 years sober. The only number that counts is “1”. That’s the drink upon which victory or defeat is decided. Say “no” 100% of the time to 1 drink, and we win, 100% of the time. Say “yes” to 1 drink , and the chance of full blown relapse just increased 100%.

I have ceased playing the odds of being able to stop at one drink. The odds are never in my favor. I now only consider the stakes, and I refuse to wager one more minute of my life to alcohol.

I won’t drink, because I don’t drink.

7 Likes

One is too many and a million isn’t enough.

No more “first” drinks!

5 Likes

Dont beat yourself up, 290 is a fantastic achievement, demonstrating how strong and resilient you are. Remember, relapse makes you stronger. See your relapse as a days amnesty. Well done.

2 Likes

Thanks @Kmills888. I did get right back on track. It’s discouraging to reset my tracker, but at least this time it wasn’t 3 months later! Team Day 1!!

2 Likes