Relapse at 100 days

So last weekend (1/22/21) I had reached 100 days sobriety so I thought, “as a celebration, I will have a few beers with some friends, I’m at 100, I’m in control now, what can go wrong?” But man was that a bad idea. The weekend was fine, we were staying out in San Diego together and it was great, until I got back. As soon as I was alone with my thought the depression started to kick in. The feelings of self-loathing. Of being a piece a shit, feeling like all my progress was down the drain. We got back Sunday afternoon and drank until Monday night, I only stopped because I had work on Tuesday morning, and even then I was still too drunk to drive so I took an Uber to work. I tried calling off that Tuesday but was unable, and man am glad they made me go into work. I was feeling depressed as hell, crying at work, I decided to share on my social media (Instagram) how I had reached 100 days of sobriety, but unfortunately fell off the wagon. The support I got from it was overwhelming and honestly felt amazing. Most of the people on my Instagram are people I once drank with or knew that I was a very heavy drinker, socially and non-socially, so I was abit hesitant to make that post, but I’m so glad I did. This relapse was necessary, because it gives me confirmation that I can no longer have a sip of alcohol, it turns into a horrible person, it makes me depressed, and tbh alcohol had at one point taken control of my life. Most of my 20’s were literally wasted away due to alcohol. I’m 27 now, and for the first time I finally feel like I’m actually getting my life together. These past 100 days were full of growth, rediscovering who I am. Even though i relapsed, I’m back on my sobriety journey, this time much stronger. Today is my 7th day sober, eliminating alcohol out of my life is honestly the be decision I have made in a long time. I’ve gone from suicidal thoughts to having clarity of mind. From feeling like shit every morning to feeling ready to take on the day. I’m new to this sober journey, and fairly young, and I have a lot of plans ahead of me, one of those being that I want to be more involved in sober communities. Being a young Hispanic male, I’ve realized there aren’t many people that look like me in the sober community, and if I have to be one of the first to do it, I’m feeling up to the challenge. Baby steps tho, one day at a time. If you are still reading at this point, thank you for your time. Have a nice day. And always remember “yesterday is history, tommorow a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.”

22 Likes

I remember about 30 years ago doing the same thing, I was a month sober and got drunk to ‘celebrate’… ugh. You are wise to recognize what you did. Glad you are back at sobriety stronger than ever.

4 Likes

@SassyRocks yeah I’m never doing that again haha. And thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

I suggest you bookmark this thread and next time you think…just one won’t hurt…read it instead. :heart:

5 Likes

@littlemisschatterbox yeah at some point everyone does right, that’s why it’s important not to be too hard on ourselves when it happens. What matters is how we handle the situation, the best thing to do in my opinion is to acknowledge it, learn from it, and grow from it.

1 Like

I’m sorry you relapsed but now you know it’s not for you! Remember, those 100 days aren’t lost because you know now that you can do it.

Important thing is you’re still here and pushing forward, you got this :+1: :muscle:

3 Likes

Learn from it so you can avoid a new one. You did 100 days sober, so you can do it again. Go get that sober life!! :facepunch:
0eba5f4dd83ec4d463d99ec3ba3faae7

3 Likes

100 days well done but now you have learned hopefully not to fall into a relapse again , and no not everyone does relapse for me having a good foundation and phone numbers helped maybe try a zoom meeting get a good sober network the word net means you wont fall through if you lift the phone wish you well

2 Likes