Relapse guilt

So I’m a student so its very hard not to be constantly surrounded by alcohol. Last night i went out and thought it would be ok, that i could handle a few drinks and… bam! Right back into oblivion! I embarrased myself and now I’m just so disappointed in myself and feel like a total idiot rn… tips on dealing with relapse guilt please…

1 Like

Ignore the guilt and shame, respect yourself for what your trying to achieve! If you feel you need to apologize to someone, do it…

If sobriety is your absolute goal, learn and be better next time! Be proud your focusing to making yourself better!

3 Likes

Hi
I am also a student , well was up until last month. Like you i found it nearly impossible not to drink especially because the drinking culture is so rampant in college life. Instead of trying to go out with the students in my class that drank I found out there was AA group within the college so I went, made friends and still had nights out (bowling) with people who like me were also trying to stay sober. It was really good because I didn’t feel like I was actually going missing out on being a student.

Don’t beat yourself up too much , relapses happen x

4 Likes

Learn something from it, then let it go and move on, with more determination. But make sure you learn something from it, then change that in the future so it doesn’t happen again.

3 Likes

Focus on things that will help your sobriety and leave the rest alone. Guilt will not help

A story familiar to so many of us. Decide to be better, and then be better. Learn that the battle is won or lost at the first drink. This is the drink that matters. Victory hinges on your saying “no” to this drink. If you say “no” to the first drink, there won’t be a second or third or eighth.

1 Like

The first few days of relapse will always be filled with guilt. But, learn to forgive yourself bc you are what matters the most. Accept who you are and be happy with that. Make new friends. Dont go to bars. Join the gym :kissing_heart:

1 Like