Relapse. How do you cope?

how do you cope with the feeling of guilt after a relapse?

2 Likes

Thank you so much!Really needed that

don’t feel guilty I’ve had 2 relapses and bloody enjoyed it but I now know I will never be able to have just the one again. So I won’t, I’m not going through all this again.

2 Likes

I am very familiar with guilt after relapse. I try to use it as emotional fuel to keep going. Giving up isn’t an option. I remind myself that recovery, whether from addiction or say, a depressive episode, is not linear.

Recovery is not linear.

Sobriety is simple, but not easy. When I’m feeling guilty the morning after, I make a promise to myself. I try to remember the emotional pain of relapse, and whenever I think of using I remember how I felt last time I relapsed.

Forgive yourself. Write down what your triggers were/are. Speak to people on here. Go to a meeting if that is something that helps you. Go to intherooms.com and sign up for an online meeting. Read recovery books. (Russell Brands’ “Recovery” is a good one that is serious, actionable, but not too overwhelming.

Remind yourself of why you want to be sober, and hold those close to your heart.

4 Likes

Thank you so much♥️

I dealt with it by vowing to never again make the mistake of saying “yes” to the drink that matters…the first drink, and when it came to alcohol to always say “no” to the hardest person to say “no” to…me.

I recognized that I can’t change the past. I can only change today. I decided to be better, and then set about actually being better, knowing that better begins with sober. If I am sober, I am better, and from there I can keep getting better at getting better, each and every day. Better today than I was yesterday and tomorrow better still.

655 days of getting better at getting better!

4 Likes

Personally. I’m on day 3 after 576 days being clean. What I find that is helping me is: accepting that I can’t change the past. Recognising the pattern that caused my relaspe. Being objective on how to prevent a relaspe in the future and finally, being open with the people I care about. Talking about it with the people who support me has done wonders in terms of my own self-loathing. Being able to accept mistakes and move forward is the strongest thing we can do

5 Likes

Ill let you know when i have one went to meetings got on the program had no reason to lift a drink wish you well