Relapse last night few drinks turned into many

Looking for help and guidance as starting day 1 all over again can’t seem to get out of this vicious cycle I am in lately i get to around 5 days and relapse again. Any help out there?

12 Likes

AA would. Be a good start there will be people there who have walked in your shoes can help you what have you got to lose

3 Likes

There’s LOTS of help out there, google in your area where to find help. Try meetings, it can’t hurt.

2 Likes

Greetings! I noticed you joined Nov 14th, and have 1 hour read time.

Where I started…here. I lived here. I read everything I could, I was as active as I could be. The time I spent drinking, I spent here.

Like many that come here, I was never going to do AA. I even said it loud and proud. I made it 89 days. Something inside me said I wouldnt make day 90. On day 90 I went to AA.

Getting sober isnt, " just not drinking"…its about relearning how to live. How to celebrate, be bored, be angry, grieve…all without alcohol.

It’s about finding out why we turned to alcohol. Solving those issues.

It’s about work, it takes work for long term sobriety. Choose your program…AA, SMART, Dharma, your own created, rehab. It takes a systematic aproach to changing habits and lifestyles.

Start by being active here, be open to advice. Then get working.

22 Likes

What have you tried? How about coming here before you pick up that first drink? AA is a great resource. I’ve been going for over 2 years now and it has completely changed my outlook on life. I no longer need alcohol as a crutch to get through the lows and highs. Learning to live life on life’s terms without a drink takes a lot of hard work.

5 Likes

Yes! That’s exactly what I did just now to come here because my cravings got unbearable every second tonight. The second I wrote a text on here it got better. It’s still there but I won’t pick up the first drink now. I will go have a shower and then treat myself with a movie. Distracting myself is hard at night when the cravings kick in… Thank you for this post :grin:

6 Likes

Glad to see you checking in Julia. Hang in there. You know that feeling will not last forever. At times like this, I have to go back to basics and take it hour by hour doing anything to distract and pass the time. A hot shower and movie sounds like a great plan. :blush:

1 Like

Great advice given by Scott here, so much so that that’s there’s nothing really I can add. Read and re-read it, then see what you can start putting into place. Your sobriety has to be your number 1 and it’s gonna take a whole lot of brutal honesty with yourself and a determination and commitment to working your sober program every day. I was sober for 2.5yrs and then I fkd up and had a drink. Ended up blackout drunk. It was bad. I am living with the regret and the deep disappointment now. I went to my first AA meeting last night, and it was amazing how kind and welcoming the ppl there were. And they were understanding and it was their mission to help and support me. Strangers that don’t even know me, yet there they were, caring and understanding more than my own family could. Im very grateful to have found the strength to go to that meeting. And, I’m going to keep going, because I can see how it will help me to stay sober, and that IS what I want, for sure. Maybe try one too…?

7 Likes

Whatever you do Julia, just don’t pick up that first drink. Focus on just one day at a time. Commit to being sober today and know that you are worthy of a joyful, sober life :sparkling_heart: what movie did you watch? Did you enjoy it?

2 Likes

Thank you @Lisa07 and @emc2018! Movie was great. Fatal affair on Netflix. I ate a lot of chips but that’s much better than drinking. This craving really passed once I got it out with a message on here. Felt so relieved.
@emc2018 I saw about your relapse. I’m glad you are so honest, came right back in here and never give up!!!

4 Likes

Hey! So glad you hit a local AA. I have made friends there that I can do things with, and it really helps me to stay sober. You may even find some people into photography or other hobbies you are interested in. I’m so glad you added a local support group to your toolkit. Connection with other sober people has been a lifesaver for me!

1 Like

Am back at square 1 myself after a serious relapse, i was aa online lucan group last night, it helps

3 Likes

Thanks @LeeHawk, I’m glad too, its helped me to feel better moving forward, knowing there is more I can do to ensure I get better and stay sober :slightly_smiling_face: It would be great if I could meet and make some sober friends here in my area too; it’s hard when my friends are drinking and they don’t really understand that I can’t and don’t want too. It’s also, I think, part of the reason why I decided to drink again, or why those thoughts started and became overpowering - because I wanted to fit in…to belong. Sadly, I felt that I had no benefit or contribution to my group of friends and, so, used alcohol to escape from those feelings : (
I’m definitely going to get back into the photography and writing, as it is such a joyful and creative outlet for me, but I just feel a little jaded and embarrassed still for drinking and don’t feel like I have much wisdom right now. I appreciate your support so much tho, thank you for being there and caring :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, Harry. Please know you’re not alone, this disease is a horrid one. Best thing we can do: just focus on one day at a time. Let’s, together, for the next 24hrs, stay sober. We can do that. Yeah? :pray:

1 Like

Yeah for sure, its almost 24 hours so worst withdrawals have passed, going to get my running gear and do a forest Gump, sweat this monster out

If anyone wants to chat, please do so👍

2 Likes

Awesome! Enjoy your run! It’s late night here is Australia, so I’m off to bed shortly :slightly_smiling_face: happy sober day, friend. Wish you well

1 Like

I’ll listen to a sober podcast. I can’t get to a lot of meetings bc of my schedule & custody situation, so podcasts help me bc I can hear testimonials from people just like me. Helps me not feel so alone on my sober journey. Just a thought. :relaxed:

OR—-

Just remember the feeling of not waking up with a hangover. Nothing beats that feeling. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yes, waking up without a hangover is awesome. I really need to hang on to that thought.

1 Like

It’s not worth my 2 hour wine buzz. :clap:t2::grinning:

Im just finished meditation and spotify, it was brilliant, really at ease now, after a run aswell