Relapse on Day 40

After 40 days sober I decided to relapse. I was in a party with a lot of temptation and new people, I picked up and did so for 4 days. One reason could be that I am just not ready for so much temptation and I shouldve known better but I still feel like I dont know why I chose to relapse.
It was my decision and for 40 days I decided to be sober. I dont work an official Programm but I exercise, meditate, pray, journal every day, I do my best to stay active, read, write, draw and of course I learn and am in school. I have a good routine every day, and daily I indulge in sobriety related activities, often reading writing and journaling about recovery.
I have sober friends and am visiting a drug counselor and a therapist. I feel I have a support system I use .
In the 40 days there have been cravings but I decided sobriety and the 40 days have been the best, happiest, most productive and healthy days in the past 3 years!
Relapse was unjustified, but I still decided to do it and am wondering what I can do except deciding sobriety to never relapse again? I feel I actively work on my recovery and I am often certain and proud of being sober so I still kind of do not understand why I decided to act so foolish. But I’m taking responsibility and am on Day 1 now.

2 Likes

Back to day one with 40 days of experience under your belt, you’ve learnt what you can do, you’ve learnt what you can’t do. Took me 3 relapses and no more mistakes, you have to take something with you from it, make it of use and not a total failure. Back Stronger.

2 Likes

I learned so much from my relapse. I choose to work the AA program and it’s working for me.

Avoid parties where there’s going to be drugs for at least 6 months. Or ever really. If you go to the barbershop enough you will end up getting a haircut

3 Likes

Yes I should’ve known better at least I can learn where my limitations are now

I’ve seen you dish out some solid advice. So give this a try. Next time you are going to do something like that think what you would say to someone who is about to do the same thing.

4 Likes

You had a slip-up-it happens. You have a good head on your shoulders…you kept saying the words “chose”, you chose to use that night and as you know you can also choose to not. Continue to choose sobriety and you’ll be good. And avoid those scenes…I was a hermit for the first six months because I did not trust myself. Being aware of that is key.

3 Likes

I’ve just learned a massive lesson… people places and things… I need to protect myself at all times to stay safe in my recovery… I had 8 months sobriety and thought i was of to let my gard down … then I picked up. All we can do is keep learning about ourselves and make sure we keep on the right path. X

3 Likes

While I chose sobriety is was so proud and it really was the best decision every day. I decide to recover so I will!

2 Likes

Keep learning and growing and never give up. :heart:

2 Likes

Im glad you are back on the path of recovery now, and I understand now I can not overestimate myself. Some people some places and some things make recovery needlessly harder, and my priority should always be sobriety. Although I have to say it’s hard to completely change all people places and things I have to if I want to get and stay healthy and free.

It’s been a hard lesson 4 me to learn as my partner is also a addict I’ve had to remove myself from his company to get myself back on track I’m not blaming him a0t all for my relapse but it makes my recovery harder when I know I need to keep myself safe at all times… as i say I learned a massive lesson x

2 Likes

Thankyou x

1 Like

I was aware of this but until the relapse I wasn’t aware of the importance of it. Some situations we don’t have to be in create cravings that seems immense. Some people I really love or like but their influence is way too negative

1 Like

I really understand what your saying x please keep us all updated with how u r getting on x

1 Like

Thank you I will. I journal daily anyway and am a strong believer in the benefits of such journaling

1 Like

For me, the lessons that I’ve learned from my relapses were more important than the sobriety itself.

I’ll say it again.

The lessons that I learned from my relapses were more important than the sobriety itself.

By the way, I cannot allow myself to go to such a party, ever. For me, that’s pulling a trigger. That’s a huge violation of my boundaries, even though alcohol and drugs are not my DOC.

There are plenty of other things I can do in this life.

2 Likes

Yes it’s hard to accept that I cannot go there. I often loved parties and clubs sober and have many clean fun nights, temptation was there but I didnt even crave. Yet sometimes I do crave and that’s just a risk I cannot take anymore. I also learn with most resets which people do and which don’t have a place in my life

1 Like

I misread the post the first time. It sounds like a good time for reflection.