Relapse on day 5. Disappointed

Here I am disappointed in myself. Drank again on day 5. The most disappointed thing is that I did so well in these 5 days. I had 3 separate social events back to back and in all events I rejected alcohol when offered directly to me. In one event a beer was even placed by the host at my seating area before I even sat down. I didn’t say anything I simple let the beer sit there for 2 hours until it was my time to go. On another day I was working construction and was offered beer on break and let me tell you at 95° working in the heat it was one of the hardest things. The reason I was disappointed is that after all that I just ended up drinking at home. I know living alone makes it harder but I didn’t necessarily have a bad day, I feel like I was just bored. I am so disappointed but I am here and ready to try again. On a side note, as I type this I also feel like I let this community down and I am sorry for doing so.

9 Likes

It’s okay. And you didn’t let this community down…we’ll be here for you no matter what. Just begin again. Might I suggest instead of going to those social events, you hit some meetings. For me, when inwas first getting sober, I had to change people, places, and things. Some social events, I just had to miss. It’s hard. But it’s doable. Learn from those who have gone before you. One day at a time!

8 Likes

Hi, you are here and that’s what matters. You are sharing and you noticed it was boredom that lead you to that drink. There’s things to learn out of this. You realized you are strong you made it through 5 days with some of those being challenging around alcohol. What’s worked for me and what I’ve noticed works for a lot is to stay busy. If you know you’ll be dine with your day early make a list of things you’d like to do. Walks are great let me tell you. My first day which was one of the hardest I went on walks almost every hour. Also don’t be so hard on yourself we are working on changing a big part of our lives. It won’t be easy we are learning new tools as we go so give yourself grace and remember you are working one day at a time. I’ve doubt you’ve let this community down we’re all here for support through the good and bad.

4 Likes

Thank you, and congrats on your day five. Keep going strong. Yes social events are tough specially wheni have the reputation of drinking so everyone kept offering me drinks and questioned me when I rejected drinks. My answer varied from person to person but only my closest friends got the truth. But what I need the most is how to keep busy when I am alone. Maybe I should sign up for some kind of activity to keep busy after work. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi I’m also on day 5, and new here :grin: this is my very first post. I survived a family gathering today where everybody drank :scream:. I’m so proud of myself. I drove home sober with my kids in the car :see_no_evil: like it should be. Then I went for a 10k run. I entered a half Ironman to help keep me busy and focused on something else. Like someone else said, it’s difficult, I also think of wine all the time. But I keep telling myself every morning. Stay sober just for today, one day at a time. Maybe signing up for an activity like you mentioned is not a bad idea at all. Go for it!

7 Likes

I think many times people can create a false belief in control over alcohol. Turning it down when offered, not drinking at a social event you normally would drink at, etc … You decided to drink on your own terms on your own time which gives you a sense of control. Boredom, routine, and a variety of conditioning factors gave you the idea that you could drink. Think of all the time you spent drinking the previous years, now think about what you would fill all the time doing if you weren’t drinking. It’s a lot of damn time!! And it’s hard to fill! You have to create new things that interest you, distract you, physically exhaust you. That is one of the hardest parts in recovery, living sober and not just “not drinking”. Not drinking is just one piece of a very large puzzle! Find support, doing it alone is a recipe for disaster for 99% of us

3 Likes

I personally tried to stay away from events with alcohol for the first year… sure there were weddings and shit i couldn’t skip but even then i had escape plans put in n place.

This is spot on fact.

As far as letting the community down i wouldn’t worry about it. We are all either lessons or examples here. We can be examples by sharing our stories and how we stay sober or lessons by how we fell back into active addiction.

Pick yourself up, dust off and just stay sober today. You can do this because I did, and if I did it anyone can. Best wishes to you.

2 Likes

Dude thank you for honesty . You’ve already taken the first steps to restore your life . Good job resisting at your festivities . The reason you drank when you got home is that you were surrounded by triggers that day . Become stronger by being mindful that triggers are there to weaken the armor of your recovery .Don’t fail on purpose by giving your addiction a green light to use again after diffusing the triggers of the day. Learn from your mistakes , identify your pit falls - take that knowledge and apply it for your battle everyday. Each time you stand up is a success.

2 Likes

Having something to look forward to when you get home, add something new to your routine.
For me in my early days it was making a nice meal from scratch and then having a nice bit of tv to look forward to.

Get to a meeting, they really are so powerful to help keep us sober, especially if your bored at home you need to add something to your day/evening like try

• A meeting.
  • Something to look forward to each evening that you enjoy and can spend the day thinking about.
  • Get up earlier so you can sleep earlier.
  • Exercise/go for walks
  • Read
  • Watch documentaries about how alcohol affects the body.

I know it’s hard, but you have to get through one day at a time.
For me meetings online and being here the most has kept me sober.

This is an online meeting on zoom its 24 hours day and night.

You can join with your audio off and camera off no will even know your there, I lived on this meeting, then I found this app about a month later and the support here is amazing without many here I know I wouldnt be sober today.
And when I feel like a drink I come here and tell everyone, and I get help and support here that is so powerful it keeps me sober.
I have a 2 higher powers one is God, but my other higher power is here everyone here, so keep participating and reading through threads.
I believe in you and you can do this, together we arent alone.

Today we stand with you sober, so your not on your own. :hugs:

3 Likes

One trick an old timer taught me for social events is to get a tonic and lime. Just keep it in your hand the whole time. People will stop offering you drinks.

1 Like

I’ve tried to stop a few times and found that Fridays were a big trigger for me so I have planned something to keep me busy for the next few Friday nights. Maybe planning something for the time that you were bored will help?