Relapse on Youtube

Thursday my teacher showed a vine compilation in class. I felt like asking if I could leave early, but anxiety stopped me. I did not get any cravings afterwards, so of course, I could moderate right? :man_facepalming: Sufficed to say, I relapsed on YouTube today. Nothing but YouTube for 13 hours straight. It may not be my biggest addiction, but it will still bite me in the butt and make me feel stupid. I should have been studying for a test that I have tomorrow so I’m likely going to be fucked.

Moderation is impossible. In every single situation. Don’t do it, It will bite you in the arse.

I screwed up but I won’t let the annoyance and pity take control over me. I’m not going to let one moment define me, but strive tomorrow. I’ll make the best of what I can do

12 Likes

Is it possible to use YouTube for educational and developmental purposes only? That’s all I use it for. It seems like the same as being addicted to books. I don’t think anybody becomes addicted to dictionaries or biographies. Is it possible to separate the positive use of YouTube from the negative use and say that you are only addicted to the negative? I have indulged a little in the popular videos on YouTube. They are addictive. But when I train myself to avoid them and only watch the ones that enlighten me, I don’t have any struggle with it.

3 Likes

That is hard to have something in class trigger u. I don’t know what vine is, but I do use Youtube videos in class, as a starting point for discussion, I never thought it could trigger students.

1 Like

I use YouTube for the positive from time to time and am still planning on doing so because there’s a lot of information about all kinds of subjects on there

1 Like

Hear ya mate. For me it’s other vices but just as disappointing to keep releasing and getting the same results. Hang in there buddy we all in this together much love.

1 Like

There used to be an app called vine where they basically made funny short video’s. The not cringy but actually funny predecessor of tiktok. On YouTube there’s a lot of compilations of those video’s. Vine was deleted when people started doing crazy things that could kill them for views

1 Like

I think I know what u mean, I remember now. What do u watch for so long on YT? If it isn’t triggering to talk about it.

1 Like

There’s a very wide spectrum of YouTube video’s I can lose myself in. From motorcycle compilations to top 10s. From home video’s to gaming video’s. From lego video’s to vlogs. If I find it the least bit entertaining I can’t stop watching

1 Like

The sheer amount of videos makes it hard to control. And I know it is easy to click from one topic to the next. You have tests this week, right? Good luck🍀.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m gonna need it

2 Likes

You can use YouTube’s personalization AI to your advantage. When you see a suggestion that you know is not good for you, you can tell it not to offer anymore suggestions from that channel. There is not a single video in my suggestion list that would feed anyone’s cravings. It’s a lot of TED talks, hobbies, crafts, lectures, motivational talks, interviews, etc. You can block all the stuff that gives you trouble and take advantage of the real power of YouTube.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, that might save my ass multiple times

1 Like