Relapse, relapse, repeat

After nearly 2 years sober, I’ve been relapsing since December. Now I’m 6 days sober and have a new aftercare programme in place. 2 meetings a week, counselling once a week and plenty of exercise and yoga with meditation daily. Fingers crossed this time i succeed :muscle:

11 Likes

a lot of folks who go back out dont return so im glad to hear youre back in the sober life. welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HELLOOOO and welcome, you’ve got the experience, you’ve got some decent tools and a solid foundation and now you got us. Anytime your having a bad day or in fact a good day we’re now part of the journey. I too had long sober spells and convinced myself it would be OK to let my hair down, we are not built Iike that though, we’re the most intelligent craziest bunch of sick people I will ever know. We have all the solutions for everyone else’s problems but don’t know what’s best for ourselves. Well done on your sober days and let’s keep on rolling.

5 Likes

I don’t want to seem hard. Sobriety has nothing to do with luck. Either you want it or you don’t. From my personal experience I relapse often until I understood surrender, trusting a higher power of my understanding and taking suggestions. I believe anyone can recover to remain sober one has to work the program. A slogan from the rooms meeting makers make it. Glad you made it back.

5 Likes

I agree, until you fully surrender relapse is inevitable. I said I surrendered 3 years ago, but in truth I wasn’t 100% sick and tired. Continued relapses for 3 years. I completely surrendered 6 days ok. Welcome back.

1 Like

I think you’re on the right track. You’re doing a lot of good things. Don’t give up.

I know how it’s like to lose 2 years of sobriety. For me, a lot of changes happened. I got married, changed jobs, moved, got my new wife pregnant, adopted 2 sons, added cable and internet to my home, dropped out of meetings all within 3 months.

I had a moment of unclarity and I reached out to get my fix.

It’s easier to keep the heart clean then to clean it after it’s been defiled.

I’ve been struggling to maintain longterm sobriety ever since. And that was 13 years ago.

Is it about surrender for me? Ehh… I don’t know. Maybe.

Get some more help?
ding, ding ding, ding ding! :bell:

There’s a saying in AA. Three meetings plus a week, good going, 2 meetings a week, good luck, one meeting a week, goodbye. I do five meetings a week.

4 Likes

That’s the first time that I’ve heard that one but then again I’m in NA though it would still be relevant. Maybe post it on the,“best AA sayings,” thread. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t wanna double up on my comments too often but if you didn’t see this you might enjoy it: Also a great unorthodox AA saying is, when you feel like drinking, take your sobriety token and put it in your mouth, when it’s dissolved, you can drink.

1 Like

That’s a good one I’ll use that from time to time! :+1::+1::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I think you also need a daily surrender. Ego can creep back in. Character defects don’t just leave forever on the premise of one prayer. It’s a daily grind. Just my opinion. Much loves

1 Like