Relapse vs slip

Is there really a difference? Do you reset your counter if you have a slip or keep going? If you use one or two times then put it down what does that make you? Useless???

3 Likes

It isn’t my area but I know that SMART make a distinction between a slip and a relapse. In terms of resetting your timer, that’s obviously up to you but I think most people would use it to say how long it is since their last drink (or whatever).

The main thing, in my opinion, is not the number of days but where you go from here. Today is the day that matters :pray::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Have to reset with either, a Slip is a one of and a relapse is you go back to continuing to use or drink like the past

6 Likes

I truly believe if u use u reset. It’s no use slipping every so often cos before long u will end up the same or worse than ever before. X

5 Likes

For me, regardless of whether I take one sip of beer/whiskey or spend the night chugging all that I can, that’s a reset. There is no gray area for me.

4 Likes

If I “slip” then don’t reset my counter I have effectively given myself permission to use or drink at a later date.

10 Likes

I reset I feel defeated the cravings never stopped but once the plugs started hitting me up again I caved. The 30 days I was clean I could ignore them they didn’t have what I wanted and as soon as they did have what I wanted I caved instantly. I feel like a monster ill go to extreme lengths to have it.

2 Likes

I thought they were the same but this makes sense. It should be reset with either one i think. No point in lying to ourselves that a slip is almost fine :wink:

1 Like

Useless? Or human?

2 Likes

Both I feel like a monster like what will it take to make me stop Whats it going to be… I feel as if something in me is missing and I am not whole.

2 Likes

I think alot of people feel that empty hole inside. I learned through aa that there’s a power greater then myself. I call him god and today he fills that hole within me through working my 12steps programme x

5 Likes

When I first installed this app I had counted the days since I first decided to go clean… However, I did have one slip after about 90 day’s in… So one day on here after reading through some of the stories I decided to go into it and edit my date to the last time that I ever put that poison into my body… WHY??? Because I knew that if I wasn’t being completely :100:% honest to myself then I was never gonna be able to get :100:% better… I can’t be nothing less than that :100:% on this because if I give my inner demon 1% she will take the other 99% every single time… She won’t even ask… Seen her do it… Can’t risk it… That’s just my opinion… Good for you in resetting your date… :point_up::blush:

5 Likes

You’re are perfectly created just the way you are… :100: There is something missing though and it’s these slips thats taking it away from you… Takes many things away starting with your happiness… You owe it to yourself to get better and to be happy… Tomorrow is a brand new day… Time to refocus… :point_up::blush:

1 Like

Just because you’ve had a slip and reset the counter, it don’t make what you experienced and learned during that time sober irrelevant. It’s all still part of the journey. It all counts towards your goal :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Exactly right… :100: I’ll never forget those first 90 day’s clean, what it took to get me through it or the date (January 5th 2018 :blush:) that I decided it was time to start living… :point_up::blush:

2 Likes

Yea that is how the slippery slope starts, I think you need to reset to make it that much more special to you when you do nail it. I am sober for 3 months except for that beer I had three weeks ago and that margarita last Wednesday just does not have the same ring.

3 Likes

To me a drink is a drink. 1 counts as a reset. I could try and make it sound better by using “slip” but it would just be a way of justifying it. Bottom line for me is it would be bad for even just 1 drink. Softening that fact is dangerous and could open the door to making it acceptable.

1 Like

Your not useless. If your intention was to drink then you already know the answer. A slip is maybe accidentally drinking punch at a party that you didnt know was spiked. It breaks down to you intentions.

If you want to stop drinking, reset. If you want to cut down, it does not matter

“A man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man.”

I have no idea if I got that right.

2 Likes