Relapsed after two years

I managed two and a half years with out a relapse

The start of this year my wife announced she had an affair and wanted a divorce. It was on the second day of covid lockdown. I carried on working As usual as i work in health. Since may tho i have been drinking. Now i have met Someone who too seems to like to drink regularly…so this morning i awoke hung over and know i need to stop and be’ Back on here.

25 Likes

Welcome back. It sounds like life threw you a curve ball, I’m sorry to hear about your marriage. You’ll get your time back 24 hours at a time. I don’t know if i personally would date a drinker but that’s your call.

4 Likes

Welcome back! You did it once and you can do it again.

3 Likes

Damn, haven’t seen your name in a while! Mine used to be Modestakieran.

I’m sad you are where you are, but happy to see you back with us. I must ask a question… The statement “I made it 2 and a half years without a relapse” stuck out to me. Why that statement instead of “2 and a half years sober”? There has to be something important there.

7 Likes

Im not sure. I was proud of my sobriety.

The relapse never felt like It was inevitable. I think this year following the stuff with my wife and the pressure of work i just threw my hands up and was just lost.

3 Likes

Welcome back! Sounds like you have had to deal with a lot. I’m glad you’re back here with us. Get back up and start again! QQ if I may?..Does the person you have met and drink with know that you were a recovering addict? I think that you should definitely be honest with them from the get go. That way if the relationship is to go anywhere you will both be able to work with it. But that is just my opinion. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

3 Likes

I got your back… been there after 5 and then 7 years a relapse… if you need to speak out or just get your chest of some things, shout out or pm …

You allready know the tricks and ways, now its about reflection and maybe you were hanging on a cord since long time but didnt mention it till lockdown…

Lockdown still takes me back to the transformer movies though

Be well, and especialy kind 2 yourself

Stay proud… dont just be

3 Likes

Welcome back :raised_hands:
:muscle:you got this!

3 Likes

I think the past year has been really hard and i had tried to be’ a better man, my wifes affair and first she wanted a divorce and then she didnt have hit me harder than i realised. I Am dedicated to a new fresh start but i need it to be’ a sober one

2 Likes

I will be open with them . I can’t continue drinking. It will go from being okay to all over the place if i don’t stop. I think the stress of the year has been greater than i thought.

1 Like

Welcome back, the most importance of fact is that your back. My first go around I relapsed after 10 years and it took me 17 years to get back after trying year after year to do it on my own. Never beat yourself up over a relapse, what we learned, amongst other things is that we can’t do this on our own. Oh, and btw, just a suggestion, no relationships until after a year, :thinking:, you may want to reevaluate your current relationship. Be well and stay close.

1 Like

What an important reminder for me and everyone. Welcome back. You’ve got all it takes to stay sober odaat :muscle:

1 Like

I think events this year were meant to happen for me. Its given me an opportunity to reflect on wtf just happened and to start again

Don’t beat yourself up, dealing with your ex wife’s affair must have been devastating. I am glad you are able to reflect and move on. Be honest with your partner, if she realised the depth of your alcoholism she probably make steps to more supportive. If her social life involves alcohol, can you both find something else that you can do together instead. Hope it all works out for you :blue_heart::hugs:

2 Likes

I think having a drinking partner will make it 10x harder to stay sober, maybe she’ll be on board to stop also?

1 Like

I hope so. I need to have thst conversation with her

2 Likes

Then it sounds jou know your path, fix the stones you gonna step on again and go go gadget good days

2 Likes

I havent felt so human for a while. I think what tipped me was the chaos this year was massive and i was so off guard and It all went belly up whilst i was sober whixh just didnt make sense

1 Like

I recognise that… in fact … I was fighting for years and the moment i let survival mode down i went flat down… now i can live without beïng on a constant guard with myself and enviourment…

Be well and the TS clan is here 4 you

4 Likes

You have been through a lot my friend. It’s so hard to feel feelings and try to cope sometimes. I can understand why you went back but it will not help at all. Please be kind to yourself, Dump any booze you have in the house and get back to it. We’re here for you and I hope things settle down and your mind becomes clearer soon :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes