Reminiscing

3 days sober and I find myself reminiscing about the horrible things I have done while drinking and it brings me down, trying to be positive and not let it effect the future me. Any advice on how to deal with this? Has anyone else felt this way?

4 Likes

Use those regrets and feelings to remind you never to pick up again. We can’t change the past, but we can change the future. Be a better version of yourself. Making a list of those negative things alcohol brought, (or whatever your drug of choice was). Many find working a program such as AA can help immensely, especially with making amends etc. Welcome to the forum and stick around and read lots. It’s a super helpful community with a wealth of support and knowledge. You are not alone! :hugs:

4 Likes

YESTERDAY, TODAY, TOMORROW

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry,
Two day in which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is Yesterday with its mistakes and cares,
Its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday. We cannot undo a single word we said, we can’t erase a single act we preformed. Yesterday is gone.

The other day that we should not worry about is Tomorrow with its possible adversities, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is also beyond our control.

Tomorrow will rise, either in splendour or behind a mask of clouds – but it will rise. Until it does we have no stake in Tomorrow for it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day – Today – Any man or woman can only fight the battles of one day. It’s only when you or I add the burdens of those awful eternities – Yesterday and Tomorrow – that we break down.

It is not the experience of Today that drives people mad – it is the remorse or bitterness of Yesterday or the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.

Yesterday never saw Today & Today will never see Tomorrow.

So therefore let us live but one day at a time.

10 Likes

It’ll probably get worse before it gets better, many of us have a long list of regrettable deeds done while impaired.

Good news is, the longer you stay sober, the more all that crap will fade as you become the person you always envisioned yourself being.

Keep trudging the long and winding road pal, don’t pick up no matter what.

4 Likes

Beautiful and so so true