Reset number 7

On day 2 of sobriety after reset number 7. I’m determined to make it work this time. I’ve distanced myself from most of my drinking friends. Sometimes I feel like I could never be totally sober for the rest of my life, but I know inside that that is what needs to happen. I’ve wasted way too much time and money, it’s time to get control.
Thanks in advance for the support and advice.

8 Likes

You dont have to be sober for the rest of your life you just need to be sober today.

10 Likes

Welcome here; I know for me if or when I think about never drinking I relapse. The one day at a time works because it’s true!:wink::bouquet:

4 Likes

As the guys above have said. No need to worry about the future.
Just be sober today.
Have you looked up any formal program at all.

4 Likes

I was on reset number 5and had 20years of using,we all get a chance everyday to make the change of a lifetime,and please don’t look at being sober for forever you just need to be sober today until bedtime and when you wake up tomorrow try to make it another day xx

6 Likes

We’ve all had our fair share of slip ups. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Reset and commit to one day. Then the next day commit again. Be strong you CAN do this!

4 Likes

Glad you are here…and that is a solid beard!
For years I would make promises to myself. I will only drink on weekends…I’ll quit for Lent…I’ll only drink wine and not liquor…I’ll not drink this week…I’ll stop when I want to (but not quite yet).

My willpower is worth absolutely nothing when it comes to alcohol. I finally had to admit to myself that I cannot control my intake of alcohol once I have a drink. I also had to admit that the hold alcohol had over my life was so strong that my own methods of quitting were never going to win.

So…you mention seven resets. Maybe think of what is happening in your life…in the hour… in the moment you have chosen to drink again. How can you do it differently this time? Are you going to need additional support to get though the day without picking up? I know I do…and not only that, I needed to learn to live in a better way and deal with the parts of me that enabled alcohol to become my go to for everything.

This forum is a wealth of information and help. Many of us also get help from in person recovery programs. Let us know what you need and we’ll do our best to help you make number seven your last reset.

For now, all you have to know is that you don’t drink TODAY…no matter what.. Deal with tomorrow when it comes.

6 Likes

Major beard envy my man.

@Hvitrafn posted this in another thread and it’s so applicable to everyone who is just starting out and struggling with that “forever” feeling.

There are two days in every week
about which we should not worry,
Two days which should be kept free of fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY,
With its mistakes and cares,
Its faults and blunders,
Its aches and pains.
YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.
All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
We cannot erase a single word we said.
YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW
With its possible adversities, its burdens, its larger promise.
TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.
TOMORROW, the sun will rise,
Either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds,
But it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW
For it is as yet unborn.
This leaves only one day - TODAY.

Any man can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities
YESTERDAY and TOMORROW -
That we break down.

It is not the experience of TODAY that drives men mad.
It is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY-
And the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

Let us, therefore, live but ONE DAY AT A TIME. "

What’s your plan? You’ve distanced yourself from drinking friends and that’s a tip of the iceberg start usually. Life as you know it will probably totally change for sobriety to stick. Everything changed for me, fucking everything. I’m a much happier and healthier human thanks to sobriety though so it’s not a change I forsake at all.

7 Likes

Maybe a different approach cant go the same path maybe different one try a meeting they help plenty of people there have been were you have, Relapse dosnt have to be part of recovery , for me doing the right thing and working the 12 steps helped me on my road in sobriety and no slips or relapse yet wish you well.

2 Likes