Return to sobriety

I am coming back to sobriety. I have three weeks sober now after a month off the wagon following 2 years of sobriety. I was doing good but I coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my 12 year old sons passing at his mother’s house. I thought I was doing good but this is 14 years after my daughter passed away from cancer. Things have been really rough but I never want to drink again. It doesn’t help me or those around me. I am just going to take it one day at a time and hope this time I can stick to it and have the support I need.

20 Likes

Welcome, Jeffrey; I’m glad you’re here. I’m so sorry for what you’ve gone through. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Hi Jeffery, welcome! It sounds like you have been through so much my friend. I’m sorry for all of your loss. Well done on deciding to start your sober journey again, that takes a lot of strength. I wish you well and I’m sending you strength. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome to the community and good job on your three weeks. Losing a child is never easy and I think it will always be painful no matter how many years pass. It’s easy sometimes to think we’ve got our sobriety in hand and then something difficult smacks us over the heads, knocking us over. You had 2 years before and you’ll get there again. I hope you’re able to find what you need here.

Unfortunately it looks like I hit a new low. After supporting my girl for six years my short relapse upset her. So she thinks that everything is my fault because she has a short memory. I have said everything to her but she doesn’t remember it. I tried twice to do with her not remembering but this time I am tired of being like crap. I am very smart but she blames it on alcohol even when I only drank for a short time and came right out and asked for help from it.

3 Likes

Sometimes people need time to trust again. All u can do is show her your changed behavior and wait. I am so sorry for all you have been through. All I know is alcohol will only make it worse. Sending strength to you.

You’ve been through so much. My deepest condolences for your losses.
It sounds like she might be coming from a place of fear. Like your relapse scared her and threatened to take things away. I think your best bet is to put action behind your words and recommit fully to your sobriety again, which it sounds like you have, and show her you can be trusted. If it was me, I’d need time. I hope things settle down with you two and you find strength and what you need to remain sober. Welcome to this great community! :muscle:

That sounds really difficult. I’m so sorry to hear that. Just like others have said, I would just say that all you can do is to continue to be sober and let her see that you will remain that way. For some people, words don’t matter all that much and it is what you do that counts. I’m really sorry you’re in such a difficult situation.