Runners and other fitness freaks

Just finished my 10km run. @MrsJones suggested a running group. The crazy man in me is targeting a marathon in October so it would be great to discuss/share training goals and progress. For me I’m fine running 10km or half marathons and trying to improve my pace through strengthening and still losing some alcohol induced weight but it’s dropping fast enough.

Steadily improving my diet and less sugar fixes and seeking natural sugars instead. Going to start and build in a 4 day a week 20-30 min weights programme with planks :sob: (I hate them), push ups, situps and squats.

What are your goals?

19 Likes

My goal is to run more than 1km :laughing: I just started running and been out only twice :angel:

11 Likes

I love the idea of a running group! I still find it hard to consider myself a runner even though I love it. Lol

Awesome @Daithi for your upcoming marathon!

I am back up to running between 4-6 mile distances since I stopped drinking! My evening runs literally got me through serious evening cravings.
I have signed up for a Spartan race in September. It will be around 4-6 miles with 23 obstacles. For every obstacle you can’t do, you have to do 30 burpees. So I have begun incorporating the burpee into my training. I will learn to love them I hope. Also regular strength training 3-4 times I week. I really love lifting as I have gotten older. This past year, I was a mess physically but have really been diligent with my workouts the past 72 days.
I am really trying to remember to listen to my body and to stretch at beginning and end of workouts to help prevent injuries. I’m so quick to want to skip this.

10 Likes

I quite fancy an obstacle race, need to work on my strengthening a bit again before I consider it but could build something in as part of my marathon training plan.

This time last year I was in my best shape ever, I often wonder had I avoided my relapse where I would be fitness wise now. No point dwelling on it and just gotta work harder to catch up now.

For me exercise is the best tonic.

5 Likes

My goal is to do a Spartan Race with my daughter. I usually just volunteeer but now I have visions of running in one!

7 Likes

Yay @Daithi, I’m so excited for this thread.

Prior to drinking, I got really into running. I’ve completed 2 full marathons, 36 half marathons and over 100 5k and 10k races. I even did a few half marathons pregnant with my daughter.

My best half marathon was 2:06, so my focus became getting a sub-two hour half and to complete a half marathon in every state. And then I started drinking…

The time to train for a full just became too much with my work and home schedules but I wouldn’t trade that I did them. After the first, I said I was never going to do another one and then I did 6 months later! That race is so much more mental than the half marathons are. Maybe I’ll find that mental strength again in my sobriety. Good luck with yours @Daithi!

For now, I’d just love to get back into shape so I can get back into the half marathon world. My intervals are getting better, yesterday was the first day the running intervals involved full miles again. I’m making progress everyday.

One thing we can think about is that your mile will become about a minute faster for every 10 pounds you lose. I’ve got a few minutes to gain back as I lose the alcohol weight.

6 Likes

I have run half and full marathons in the past. Now I just run a few miles a week as part of my total fitness regiment. Twice a week I do a HIIT (Tabata) workout which I find helps with my overall fitness and weight control. I have no desire to do any long distance running now even though my daughter wants me to Run Disney with her. However, I am here to enthusiastically support and cheer on those of you who want to run a marathon. You might want to come to Denver for some high altitude training! I now find when I am at sea level I am a “super athelete.” :grin: Running on a cruise ship seems almost effortless.

3 Likes

I’ll need all the luck I can get. I’ve ran one marathon before but was injured about 6 weeks before it and ran it with the injury recurring about 7 miles in - an inflammation in my metatarsal. I only cycled for the 6 weeks before it so I had less impact and the miles just weren’t in my legs.

It was hell, without doubt one of the toughest physical and mental things I’ve put myself through, including the 3 or 4 day recovery and cramps.

I am aiming for a sub 4 hours and a stretch target of 3 hrs 45 mins as I was on track for it before but with the injury I got 4hrs 26 and it’s been annoying me since, even though I said I’d never do it again, the crazy man in me is still thinking about the time so I’m doing it.

It’s so funny how the times will make us go back for more! My second marathon was actually a lot slower than the first because I did not train for it like I should have. I wasn’t aiming for a time and I already knew my body could do the distance, I was not in the right mind frame!

But it’s amazing the intensity I’m finding in my runs in sobriety. It’s almost like pushing through any pain isn’t as bad after going through this process. It’s been awesome for my mind, now I just need my body to catch up.

The injuries are terrible to run through. It really gets in your head during a race. How incredible for you to push through that for so many miles! You’ve got the mental strength and you’re training devotion is there. I bet you’ll hit your time! And you’re a lot faster than I am!

A 8- 8:30 mile is great for me! I think it’s really awesome to be any faster than that! But that’s the best part about these races, we’re all just racing against ourselves and doing it in the same arena cheering each other on. I get emotional at every single race and I don’t know that that will ever go away!

2 Likes

I need to go back to jogging :slight_smile: whats the best device to put my music on? (I’m not very techno savvy)… I have this old mp3 player (younger people might have to do a Google search :smile:) but it’s not loud enough… My phone is too big, and i dont have good data so it has to be a separate device. Any ideas would be appreciated

2 Likes

Good question. I use my Samsung 7 but it’s too big and I hate it! I miss my iPod nano lol.

1 Like

@JustL @jchavez3 My phone is too big too but it’s all I got so I recently bought a very thin fanny pack and use that to hold my phone. Lol My daughter thinks it’s hilarious but it works nicely :joy:

2 Likes

For being 29, I’m embarrassingly out of touch with technology! I just recently added my music library to my phone. But, like you guys, my phone is way too big to run with. It doesn’t even fit in the iPod holders on the treadmills at the gym.

I’m still rocking an iPod classic from a million years ago, but it still works so I keep using it. I usually wear a top with a built-in shelf bra over my sports bra and just tuck the iPod on the side in between the two. Using the girls for a purpose! Lol

They do make some cuter fanny packs for running now, or you can find some running tights with built-in zipper pouches right above the butt area to hold your device. I’ve had the arm bands and tons of people use them but they were just never very comfortable to me.

1 Like

My husband and I do it yearly! So worth it

2 Likes

Mine always slide down, especially with a heavier phone.
My husband has made fun of me because I have so many different belts too but I hate all of them lol.

1 Like

I always think the new styles look cute at the conventions and in the stores. I tried one once during my first marathon, I hated it! It kept bouncing around and sliding up around my waist instead of my hips.

Boys just don’t understand the wardrobe dilemmas we go through! Lol

1 Like

Yeah me too! I’ve even tried sticking it in my bra. That doesn’t work either. Usually I just keep it in my hand lol.

I run 4km or swim 1km 3-5 times a week and just started adding regular strength training in the way of a squat and plank challenge. I am training for my second mini-triathlon, aka. a “Tri-a-tri”.

Staying fit and not feeling hungover for workouts is a big motivator! I don’t like the feeling of my head pounding while pulling on my swim goggles.

I don’t have a good solution for music and usually just skip it. My phone is annoying to carry often. Maybe I’ll get myself a fitness watch at Christmas.

4 Likes

This group is just what i need. Thanks for starting the thread @Daithi!
So my running past is very limited though I really enjoyed it. Have only ever entered 1 running event and completed the 10km segment which i got a nice little medal for. My goal was to NOT walk any part of it and I did it successfully though seriously felt like I wasn’t moving at times lol. My running is more like ‘shuffling’ :joy:
Anyway how does tjis thread work? Are we setting individual goals or group goals? Would really like to be accountable for doing regular workouts etc. I have joined a gum but easy to not go. What does everyone think?

2 Likes

I actually was looking into training for a run, but I don’t know where to start or what run is best for a beginner. Any tips?

2 Likes