Saturday Struggle

So, it’s Saturday. I find weekends hard because I never know what to do with myself. Saturday’s have always been my cleaning day. Around now I would open a beer, put some music on and spend the day cleaning, drinking and drinking some more. Last Saturday was bad because instead of staying in, I went out at lunchtime with friends and spent the day in bars. Home by 9pm in a blackout. Felt ashamed, hated myself and started counting days again. Day 6. Cleaning and drinking tea! Think it’s going to be a good day. I can jump in the car and go pick up groceries instead of having to walk or get a cab. Funny how the simple things can make you smile.

15 Likes

Hey @Keileigh. Concentrate on that cleaning/ shopping and the day will pass right along. Make it through the weekend,then you’ll have a few days to regroup before the next weekend. It will go easier for you I would bet.

First 3 weeks are always hard. Once I hit 30 days I’m normally ok. I keep reminding myself if I did 2 years I can do 1 day. It’s the negative thoughts and self destructiveness that I struggle most with. That feeling of gaping emptiness that hits sometimes and makes you want to throw yourself into it. I have to remind myself that the more I drink the bigger the empty pit gets.

4 Likes

A movie or good book works for me.

Maybe shake up your routine a little and go read a book in the park or take a little hike or hit a movie…or something else that makes you happy or want to try…sometimes a little change of scenery and routine helps rewire the brain. Make Saturday instead of drinking and cleaning day be biking and movie day or whatever. :sparkling_heart: You are doing great!

3 Likes

@Keileigh I’m at 6 days too. I know weekends are going to be a struggle. I’m going to a last night at a bowling alley that’s closing and people will be drinking. I just have to be strong and drink seltzer water. Two weeks from now I’m my brothers best nan in his wedding and that’s going to be a tough one. I didn’t announce or make a big thing out of my quest because I’m doing it for me and no one else. I’m so glad I found this app and I am going to check in everyday. I wish you all the best and strength in the world. Stick with it!

6 Likes

The first few days were the hardest!! Once past two weeks, things seemed to get better for me. I know they will for you too! Weekends are difficult for me too. When I first tried to ‘moderate’ my drinking, I would say - I will only drink on the weekend (yeah, right!). Well the weekend would come and Woohoo! Time to drink!! And I would- drink and drink and drink!

Because the weekend was my ‘reward me for not drinking all week’ time, I sometimes approach the weekend with a bit of trepidation. The old feelings come back…‘I did great this week, time to celebrate and reward myself with wine’!! That is my disease whispering to me, making me feel that it’s ok to drink. ‘I didn’t drink all week…see, I’m not an alcoholic.’ Red flag!! Red flag!!

I found I had to rethink my weekend. There is some great advice out here from others. I like @SassyRocks ideas about making it a hiking day or a movie day. You will be amazed at the things that will occupy your time once you stop drinking and thinking of drinking. There is a thread out here about things to do when you are bored. Remember to treat yourself kindly too. Recovery is hard work and you are fighting a battle each day. It’s ok to take it easy. Read, take walks, take naps!! You will find activities that bring you joy and serenity. I’m glad you are here with us. Thank you for your share and helping me to stay sober today :relieved:

6 Likes

I had similar habits. I’d spend either Friday night or Saturday cleaning and drinking, especially if I was by myself. I’d easily kill a 12 pack of beers. :fearful:
I still have to clean my apartment :upside_down_face:, so I switched to sparkling water.

1 Like

Thanks @SobahCobra79 for your kind words. I spent my 40th birthday sober so I know you’ll get through your brothers wedding - if only because it’s his day and you can do it. If it gets tough just have an extra dessert or hit the dance floor!

1 Like

This is a hard Saturday for me. Seems as though my husband and I are going to kill each other. Or my head is going to explode. Passing thought to drink to hurt him but know it really hurts me!!!

Taking time for meditation and breathing exercises

@marsha You dont need a drink - you’re just looking to escape bad feelings. Sorry you’re having a bad day but tomorrow will be better. Go for a walk, eat ice-cream, watch a movie. Dance to your favorite song. Anything that will make you smile and then you won’t feel as bad. Stay strong. Good luck.

4 Likes

Took some time to meditate and calm myself. We are visiting my stepson and his wife and there is tension so that is not helping much. Just keeping quiet and taking it moment by moment

2 Likes

Hope things go ok. Good luck. You’re doing well.

1 Like

OK it is almost 1030 and I made it through the day sober. I left the family ahead of my husband and came back to hotel had hot shower did a paper face mask and gave myself a pedicure. Have a cup of hot tea and a comfy bed.

Today was a sober day!

5 Likes

That’s all you can ask,Take them any way you can.