Seeking opinion/advice

Is it rude of me to use my sickness to get out of a planned event?? My sister tried to surprise me by planning an outting to the local restaurant/bar for a line dancing class tonight and as the day approaches I don’t feel I am ready to be around people drinking. I’ve had a cold all week so I was going to tell her I’m still not feeling well enough to go but I don’t want to sound like a prude!

Side note- She is a very judgmental person and would not understand if I explained I did not want to be around alcohol!

10 Likes

Absolutely not. Honestly…

Your sobriety comes first. PERIOD.

I think transparency is best when possible because addiction likes to hide among lies, but if someone that you have ties to (like family) is going to be unsupportive or try to derail your sobriety than…you keep yourself out of the situation by whatever means necessary. Sounds to me like you woke up and feeling sicker.

Might even be covid. It’s going around…

It will definitely take another couple days of resting before you’ll be up on your feet again :wink:.

6 Likes

Absolutely not. Stay sober!

4 Likes

(I was going to say the same thing! “Just took a covid test!”)

3 Likes

I have tried being transparent with her before but she is a very self centered person I guess would be the term :woman_shrugging:t2: Very hard to explain but she would tell me to “suck it up” I have taken a Covid test which was negative along with the kiddos! Hard when you have 3 kids in 3 different schools bringing me their germs :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

3 Likes

Well, it’s up to you and maybe no excuse would suffice, BUT, I still wouldn’t go if your gut is feeling uneasy about it.

4 Likes

I feel it’s a fine way to get out without too much hassle. And excellent awareness Stephanie!

4 Likes

You come first right now and you should listen to your instincts :heart: doesn’t matter if you have any excuse or not, if you don’t want to go don’t go. listen to your gut!

4 Likes

Sober first dance later wish you well

4 Likes

Ray, lol… OR, dance at home! :dancer:

4 Likes

sounds like you got some good ol’e family toxicity going on there. these kinda painful structures have a chance to change in sobriety, when you learn to value yourself more and break engrained patterns even though it’s scary, eventually.

you’re not ready to be around alcohol, that’s a very clear sighted judgement, I commend you for that. your sister is judgemental and whatever excuse you wanna shoot at her to get out of the triggering event is 100% fine to spare you the headache with her and keep yourself sober. eventually, you well learn to stand up for yourself and will need less excuses. for now, this is perfectly healthy and fine! good job looking out for yourself!

4 Likes

Only you can decide when you are ready to socialize in an environment centered on alcohol, and if you feel you aren’t ready, then you aren’t ready.

Good on you for making this decision. Far too often, recovering alcoholics will place themselves in a tempting situation before they have the mindset, tactics and techniques necessary to resist, and this ends with predictable results.

Telling your sister that you aren’t well enough to go is quite enough. Stand firm and resolute, for the first step in sobriety involves a firm “no”.

3 Likes

It’s absolutely ok to use any excuse to stay off a toxic environment and protect your sobriety. BTW I always deny to engage in “surprises” for me, I just think such happenings are from the people who plan it for themselfs. If they were really interested in what makes you happy doing together - they would ask and plan mutually. Only my two cent.

2 Likes

Thank you I guess I needed someone to tell me I’m doing the right thing! :blush:

2 Likes

I agree! I HATE surprises and everyone knows that! I never thought of it that way but I agree people will plan together what they wanna do :heart:

1 Like

My brother is the same way. I have zero issue telling a white lie to protect my mental well being.

2 Likes

Not at all. There’s one simple rule here: you have permission to do anything that’s safe and legal, to stay sober. Saying you’re sick and can’t go, is totally safe and legal, so it’s ok.

Another thing is, in a way, you are sick - we all are, in this way: we threw our lives completely off balance and poisoned ourselves with our addictions. For that reason, we can absolutely say that we can’t go because we are sick. (More importantly though: you are not going because the event is alcohol-based, which is literally a bunch of people pouring poison down their throats. But that’s maybe not a perspective to share with your sister - that’s just for you to understand you’re doing the right thing, even if she doesn’t understand.)

“I don’t want to sound like a prude” - I totally get it. At the same time, one of the things we need to do in sobriety is stand on our own two feet, focus on what we can actually control (and not what we can’t control), and not let our lives be defined by (our assumptions about) what people might think about us.

You can’t control other peoples opinions or perceptions, and you never will be able to. It’s time to let that go. Of course you may worry about things, or feel unsure, and that’s normal - but feel it, then let it pass, and don’t let that thought push you in directions you know, instinctively, are dangerous. Trust your gut - it’s telling you not to go, so don’t go, and have faith that things will work out. (And while you’re not going, maybe you go to the gym and get a good workout in, or go for a walk. You’ll feel good about it :innocent:)

“She is a very judgmental person” - yep. That happens. Again, it’s not something you can control. The power of her judgment only comes from you letting it control you. As you work on your self-awareness and self-care (in your sobriety, in getting grounded and functional, in discovering yourself and not drowning yourself in booze) - as you get more self-aware and confident, you will find her judgment has less and less influence on how you feel, until finally, you are free: you will be “riding the wave” of your life on your own, without being thrown around by the challenges life hands you.

You’ve got this. Remember, one simple rule: you have permission to do anything that is safe and legal, to stay sober. :innocent:

2 Likes

Well then…we can’t change others behaviors, but we can stay focused on what makes us the best version of ourselves…and for you, right now, that is staying far away from places that serve alcohol. You are sick and not able to go out tonight…no more explanation needed!

4 Likes

I agree with everyone else you have to do what’s best for you don’t worry what others say or think stay strong and stay sober

1 Like

Thank you :blush: I have decided it’s the dreaded 8pm so I am gonna take a bubble bath and relax with my tall glass of water :sweat_drops::hugs: