Seem to be resetting more often than not

Day 1… YET AGAIN !!! So 2 wks ago I used my cousins death…somehow ive latched on to :pensive:

1 Like

Are meetings an option for you? Online, smart?

2 Likes

If you are constantly resetting but not changing your approach, why do you expect a different outcome? Escalate to the next step. Meetings. Get a sponsor. Go to IOP. If white knuckles aren’t sufficient, do something more drastic.

10 Likes

Hey,
It’s great you keep at trying to stay sober. Though I cant help but wonder what is getting in your way?
About 3 weeks into my first attempt I was fretting about new year… @Englishd asked me if I was ready to stop. I couldn’t honestly answer yes. So after a few resets I asked myself why not? Spent some time on this. It helped massively.
So did the many people who ask if we learn anything from a relapse. Each time you reset, is there anything new to learn? How can you make it easier to stay sober or harder to drink?
The words battle and fight are used so often when stopping anything addictive. Are you tooled up with the right kit to go into battle? How hard are you prepared to fight?
Thinking of you. Take care.

3 Likes

Trying to drown our emotions is what is alcoholics do best, trying to reason it’s ok to drink. My advice is to grieve, really grieve, because believe you me, bottling up your emotions in a bottle will only end in disaster. Go to a doctor and talk to them. Honestly tell them how you feel and your drinking, it’s a good place to start in getting help

@Becsta I’ve read your post several times now, I find it really helpful. I’m on Day 24 and have not reset but this is my first serious attempt and O can so relate to your post. Every now and again my brain says, well you’re on top of things, go on, what’s the harm. My good self say just don’t go there and reminding myself that drinking is not an option is helpful. It’s not even on the menu so don’t go there. @shmacky sorry you’re having such a hard time of things. Early days - I found it brutal but didn’t think beyond making it through the next hour or day! It’s hard isn’t it?

2 Likes

I can very much relate to this. If we give in too often it is like we go looking for the reasons to drink. (assuming you are referring to alcohol). I know that losing your cousin was likely devestating for you but we can’t let things become excuses. We have to learn to deal with these things head on rather than avoid them (easier said than done…I KNOW!!).

Do you want to be sober? I assume you do since you are here. But do you REALLY want it. If so you have to do something new. Something you’ve never done before. You have to get out of your comfort zone. That could mean simply telling someone you trust that you CAN’T drink anymore (someone you trust to hold you accountable if you do). It could mean joining some sort of program (AA, SMART, Women of Sobriety, Refuge Recovery…). It could mean ditching old friends that don’t support you.

I know you can do this. We all can do this. But we have to work at it. “It isn’t easy, but it is simple.”

4 Likes

It isn’t easy, but yes it is simple. We have to choose to live sober lives and quit trying to be sober.

2 Likes

Yes!! I fight the urge to comment everytime I see someone type “try to be sober”. I get what they are saying, I REALLY do, but we have to change the words we use. Saying “try” gives us permission to back out later. I don’t promise that I’ll never relapse again but I have to go into this with the attitude that this is forever…that I WILL succeed.

5 Likes

Yes I’m making my beat effort to take ‘trying’ out of my vocabulary. I am not trying, I am doing!