Self control and addiction

hello everyone. I was doing great and made it 2 weeks sober then had a real bad relapse. I have been able to get clean of many other addictions but alcohol is bad. I’ve quit smoking and using pills for over 1 year, but alcohol is my toughest challenge by far.

Starting my alcohol clock again today gonna try again. Feeling pretty bad today and of anyone wonders of relapses are worth it, they totally are not worth it.

My wife says I should find someone to keep me accountable. Anyone think that really helps or is it mostly just something you need to do from within? Hope that makes sense.

6 Likes

Accountability is huge. Without accountability you would be doing it alone, which is an unlikely way to succeed in sobriety. One thing I do is I downloaded this app called spiritual toolkit. I do the nightly inventory, where every night I reflect on the day. I then send that nightly inventory to my uncle who is an addict. He does the same thing and sends his to me. We hold each other accountable. Therefore we always do our nightly inventories.

Keep coming back here for some form of accountability as well. Good on you for getting back on the wagon.

2 Likes

I like what your wife said; I had my sister, she lives far away, but then I told a few friends and it really did help… even though I fell off the wagon a few times it did help to have them support me. One of my friends recently asked if I was still not drinking and I said yes, and she said she needs to cut back on hers… so maybe you’ll have a positive affect on someone! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t be discouraged by your relapse. I’ve had plenty on the past and a nice collection of key rings and tokens. Think of a toddler learning to walk. Each time they fall over they pick themselves up and take a few more steps driven by determination and soon they’ve got it licked. It is a learning process and there is a lot of advice around. A chance to find what works for you. Where there’s a will there’s a will there’s a way. I gave up counting the days as I would feel dispair when I went from, say, 90 to zero. One time it was nearly two years. I realized I had not actually ended up at square one and looked forward to the next stretch of my journey. Besides, I have enough key rings thank you. I now think of myself as a non drinker.

2 Likes

Good analogy with the toddler learning to walk.
:wink: