Setback/ relapse

So, yeah, not the best day…

Honestly, still feeling the affects from it.

Had a crap day at work, my wife is stressing me… life is hard etc… all the excuses… and they all mean nothing.

I got home from work, had already decided I was going to have one drink before I even got home, so had one, had two, had three (all very large ones)…

Nothing really bad happened, guess I was lucky it was one of the times nothing did.

It didn’t help, it didn’t fix anything, it numbed stuff for a while but I know it’s going to be worse tomorrow because of it.

I had 17 days under my belt, probably the longest I’ve gone in over 10 years.

I’m not angry, I’m just disappointed in myself and it was for nothing.

I’m back on the wagon tomorrow, day zero again…

Feeling pretty low right now, keep thinking to myself, it’s not how you fall, it’s getting back up (not literally thankfully).

Anyways, being honest with you all and myself about it.

Thanks

12 Likes

That sucks Bob, but thankfully nothing bad happened. Please know we’ve all been there. The relapsing, the “only one drink”, the disappointment… It takes time, but you can do it. Good for you you’re here and putting it in writing. The disappointment sucks, but it won’t last. Take it as a lesson.
You’ll manage!

2 Likes

Reading this, Bob, it shines through very clearly you’ve changed. You know what alcohol will do for you and what not. You know it’s not the way. You know you want to be sober. It really gives me hope you will learn from this, and do the work that’ll give you the tools you need, we all need, to go through the stressors of life without drink. You absolutely can do it. Work on your toolbox. You’ve made a grand start, now build on it.

2 Likes

Bob, we have ALL slipped up at times. You realize the error you made and you know one drink isn’t worth it. The good news is you’ve already learned from it and are heading back on the wagon and starting your sober journey again. You’re right life IS hard for A LOT of us but alcohol only numbs the problems for a while then it’s like they come back ten fold. Your are making the right choice! Lean on us when you need too thats our job! I wish you continued luck on your journey.

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re back up, Bob. I had more than a few restarts. I think it actually made my resolve stronger to a certain degree.
Also, if I wrote that post what would you tell me? Not to be beating yourself up, lol.
See you tomorrow!🙋

3 Likes

Such wonderful advice you have received. I am glad you are here and ready to get back to sobriety. We all know what the drinking life offers us, don’t we? And it isn’t an adventurous life filled with solutions and positivity, no indeed. Continuing to discover what sober life can be like…what recovery can be like…now that we don’t know. Here’s to exploring the new path. 17 days was a great start. Have faith and keep on keeping on. :heart:

Thanks everyone, feeling pretty rough this morning. Could happily wake up the rest of my life and never feel like this again. Back to day 0 today.

2 Likes

It’s natural to be disappointed, but it wasn’t all for nothing. Each streak you have means something. That’s one more building block you’re putting into place for your new life. You got 17 days before. This next time will be longer.

3 Likes