Setting realistic goals

Hi everyone,
Today is my first step as i have made the decision to quit alcohol because i am sick of hangovers and feeling crap!!. I used to be able to really enjoy a night out and a few drinks but over the last few months no night has ended well and alcohol is just fueling my anxiety and depression. How have people coped and what do they recommend to do when you do go on a night out? Any advice is welcome i just want to make better and healthier life choices.
Thanks,
Sarah x

9 Likes

I would get Diet Coke in a cocktail glass when I went out at times. Other times I drank water and just said I was on medication that wouldn’t allow it. Now I drink ginger ale and most ppl know I don’t drink so my life is easier. People know I will hangout until ppl get stupid drunk then I leave.

5 Likes

Ye i have been on medication for about 6 months and the drinking got more out of control been on the medication so now bye bye booze!!!

1 Like

That is a good idea! I don’t think i could be around everyone while they are really drunk. Also i find because i am in my 20s that its so hard to get my friends to do things that dont revolve around alcohol!! This is a great site!! Really appreciating the support already :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is absolutely fantastic!!! Well done you most be so proud :hugs:

1 Like

Good job and welcome!

For nights out, i built up a bit of confidence in my sobriety so gave it 2 months before i went out.

When i do i always drive, keeps you accountable and you have an exit plan. I always go out with a purpose ie see a band, bday party or catch up with old friends never going ‘just because’. I Always try to have a drink in my hand (soda water, coke). I always leave when the night get to a point, when everyone else has a few too many and the conversation drops and you realise you have nothing to gain by being there.

Good luck and stay strong

1 Like

I have a friend that quit too so it made it easier. I started to go to AA about a year ago so I met ppl there too. They have parties, picnics, dances, card tournaments etc. it is tough being in your 20’s. If I could go back I would try quiting then at least I would remember them. You will find what works best for you.

3 Likes

This sounds like I wrote it. Alcohol definitely drove my anxiety and depression to a new level. Recently, my depression/anxiety when drinking haven’t been so bad but how I feel the next day, the weight gain, the restless sleep, the overall effect it has on my health is something I really don’t like.

I want to feel better, be better, and live better.

I’m always going out to bars because my boyfriend is a full time musician. I just keep it in my head that my sobriety is the best thing for me. Plus I’m saving money instead of spending it like everyone else, I won’t wake up with a hangover the next day like everyone else, and I’m in full control, engaged in the moment and I’ll be able to remember everything from the night before!

2 Likes

That is what i am hoping!!! I just dont want to feel like crap anymore!! I have a fun run today and of course at the end of the race everyone gets a free drink and it is going to be such a feeling wnen i take the water instead after it!! Did you find your medication worked better when you stopped drinking?

Be a leader amongst your peers. Someone has to grow up first and get it together. No reason why this can’t be you.

A Leader knows the way, shows the way, and most of all, goes the way.

So get out there and start being awesome. Do awesome things that don’t involve drinking. Tell your friends about it. Get in insane shape, and do something awesome for charity, and ask your friends to sponsor you. Pursue a promotion or a new job with a big raise. Take martial arts and learn to kick some ass.

Soon, your friends will look at you, and then look at themselves and think “look at what she’s accomplishing, I got to get it together”. They may ask you how you do it. You can say “well, first I quit wasting time getting wasted”, or something to that effect. Or, they just might want to hang with you, hoping some of your awesomeness rubs off on them.

And that’s cool too, because you’ll have plenty to spare. You will have a surplus of awesome.

9 Likes

There is a quote by a man that has had a profound impact on my recovery that I feel you may find valuable, and perhaps, help fuel your ambition on the path to self betterment of not only yourself, but ultimately those around you.

“when you dare aspire upward, you reveal the inadequacy of the present and the promise of the future. Then you disturb others, in the depths of their souls, where they understand that their cynicism and immobility are unjustifiable.” - Jordan Peterson

5 Likes

Love these replies everyone such support :heart:️

Really needed to read that today great post

2 Likes

Isn’t Sprite lemon/lime flavored? So having it with lemon/lime is like typing “google” into google.

And if you do that, you will destroy the internet.

2 Likes