Should I reconnect with a friend who was one of my vices?

I had a friend whom I’ve known since we were in kindergarten. Grew up as neighbors, and have been really close friends until recently. We had a falling out several months ago. For the past couple years my drinking increased exponentially because we slowly started to expand our drinking to almost everyday all day long. Soon our entire friendship became centered on us drinking together and getting as drunk as fast as possible. Anyways. We had a really bad falling out and our drinking was really affecting our individual lives more and more. We cut contact with eachother completely until christmas she randomly texted me, apologizing for what happened and said she is in a better mental place currently and wishes the best for me, and that she missed being friends. I didnt reply to her, because I felt like if we were become close friends again we will resort to drinking together. especially since the end of our friendship was centered on the alcohol. I feel horrible cutting someone out of my life who was such a huge part of it, practically a sister. Should I stick to what I told myself and continue with no contact and not rekindle our friendship or should I try to work things out and see what happens?

1 Like

For me I would like to check out what’s left of that friendship without the booze…but only if I have enough sober days to deal with the triggers!
I would be open to her about my sober life so she knows I’m not drinking at all and she will not offer me one. I would see her during daytime in a coffeebar or so. But be carefull. If you’re doubting about your strenght, don’t do it! Keep your sobriaty first!

7 Likes

That’s really great advice. Thank you! Kind of funny I never thought of asking to meet at a place like a coffee shop. Guess I’m so accustomed to us going to one of our houses or the bar lol

1 Like

This! If the relationship existed pre-alcohol, then its foundation wasn’t based on drinking. The friendship may be salvageable. Also, a good friend who also struggled with drinking might benefit from having a sober friend. How many of us here express feelings of sadness and isolation when we first get sober.

I’d invite her out for coffee. If it goes well, then maybe a regular coffee date is in order.

7 Likes