Sick as a dog

My stupid husband has been sick with bronchitis, and damnit, I’m pretty sure he germed me up.

This may be weird, and something not many people did, but did anyone else drink/use when they were sick? I think this is the first time I’ve been sick since getting sober, but it’s like a huge trigger for me. It made all the yucky symptoms fade away temporarily.

Throat hurt? Whiskey!
Migraine? More whiskey!
Coughing like crazy? Warm tea…with whiskey!

I know I won’t drink, but it’s so like me to want to play doctor and prescribe me some liquid medicine.

Reminds me of this song I like,
“Cause I want whiskey when I’m sick
And a man when I’m well
But it’s nice to have them both sometimes
When I feel like raising hell.”

*cough cough I’m dying! :weary:

I got 2 colds back to back and lost my hearing for the first 2 weeks I was sober. I drank theraflu to help me breathe and ate menthol cough drops to help my throat. Of course, the first 2 weeks I was miserable anyway but the sickness didn’t help.

1 Like

Hoping you recover real soon! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Hope you feel better soon. :bouquet:

1 Like

Oh my I never thought of this because yes I did the same whiskey medicine always. But have not got sick yet glad I read this better start planning some better remedies!:wink:

1 Like

Also hope you get well soon!:wink:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. It’s kind of odd not self-prescribing this time around. You mean I have to let this run its course? Like normies? Gross!

@Steen ha, right? Whiskey medicine.

1 Like

@Elisabeth, I’m your huckleberry… of course I drank while sick! You can count on me cuz… lol

2 Likes

When I was sick, it made sense to me to go ahead and drink since I already felt like hell. I reasoned that the alcohol would cure me, knock the sickness out. Never worked out that way though.

These days I drink a glass of water and squeeze a full lemon into it every morning. I rarely get sick since I’ve started and when I do, I double up on lemon water and it goes away.

Feel better.

2 Likes

Yerp. Sore throat? Shots of tequila. Kills germs right? Actually I was really sick one time and on antibiotics. Kept drinking every day. Took all the meds and was still sick. Had to go BACK to the doctor and get stronger meds because the other ones “didn’t work.” Smdh glad to be out of that crap. Anyway, feel better soon. I’m sure you’ll recover quicker sober!

3 Likes

Hot Toddy’s when I was sick. Always. I got very sick a month ago when I had my first sober week. I drank lots of water and hot ginger& tumeric tea with honey. Also ginger chews by the brand “gin-gins” really helped my throat. Good luck, being sick blows. Love that song by honey honey too, or used to when I drank at least.

1 Like

Oh hell yes, when I was sick, I used to drink a whole bottle of wine. When it was that time of the month, I would drink a whole bottle of wine. Who the hell wants to be sick and sober. I’d get drunk and it made me feel better (even though it probably prolonged the pain and would make me feel even worse when I came down). A couple nights ago, I had the chills, a slight fever, and body aches. I wanted so badly to have a glass of wine (which probably would have turned into a bottle) but I just toughed it out, took some ibuprofen, and went to sleep a little earlier than usual. It sucked, I felt like crap, but I sucked it up and stayed sober so I was proud of myself for that even though I felt like crap.

2 Likes