Sick of feeling embarrassed!

I wouldn’t say i indentify as an alcoholic, as I don’t drink everyday but what I do is once I start I don’t stop. The day after is always spent cringing and having flashbacks about what I did or said to people. I went out on Saturday night to what was meant to be a really nice evening and now I can’t remember a thing and I’m covered in bruises from falling over every 5 minutes. I Keep thinking I’ll have some control and only have a couple of drinks but this never happens, it’s the same story all the time. I feel like I let myself down and other people around me, I really am ready to change things around for myself, it is helpful to read others peoples stories and ones that are similar mine. Thanks

I can’t label whether you are an alcoholic but I can tell you the story sounds like 100’s on here. You searched out an addiction support group. Hmmm. I can tell you if you want to find the easy way out of this good luck with that. It’s going to be a fight and if you face it open and honestly it will make it easier in my opinion. I tried every way I could to rationalize, justify or just flat out deny. The only thing that got me was relapse after relapse. It’s a progressive disease if you don’t fix it now. It will put you on your knees. Best wishes

3 Likes

I think you are showing signs of alcoholism. Fortunately, you aren’t drinking everyday and probably not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms during the times you don’t drink. If you have trouble stopping once started, blackouts, etc, that is definitely an early sign of alcoholism. There is alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. If the drinking of alcohol causes mental or physical problems. Different stages. At least your not drunk 24/7, but it seems as though you may not be able to social drink. Sorry for the bluntness, just my two cents.

2 Likes

Hello @Mags,the good news is you’re reconizeing the problem enough that you are trying to address it. To be blunt you do have a serious problem with alcohol, and as @Chad_R stated it is very much progressive and will only get worse if you don’t get proactive with it. There are many similar stories here,mine included,hope some of them can be useful to you.Ther are many ways and tactics discussed here.Some are working this on thier own, some take the group approach.Whatever you do,it is time to take a stance.

1 Like

Throughout history many great woman and men have figured out they can’t drink like others. And quit, not really a new thing. Since the birth of fermentation. Furthermore, throughout history many great woman and men thought they were smarter than the disease. Fighting a losing battle. That list seems to be longer.

1 Like

I always struggled to see myself as an alcoholic, i didnt drink everyday either, i could also drink moderately as well as binge occasionally. But it was affecting my life, my self worth, my confidence, my anxiety levels, etc etc… And sometimes (more towards the end) i couldnt moderate my drinking… I wasn’t in control of my drinking, alcohol controlled me… You don’t have to wake up in the morning with shakes, reaching out for a can of beer to realise its not ok and would like to change… I am an alcoholic… It changed my character, my mood, my persona… I drank when I didnt want to drink, i suffered with hungovers… Drinking was on my mind more than it should have been

I feel exactly the same at present i have bruised knees and dont remember how it happened
So i am stopping drinking so i can get myself back to me