Sick of relapsing

I can’t even keep track of the number of times I’ve tried to get sober. I’m sick of feeling sick all the time. I hate feeling drained. I hate the insomnia. I hate having a fever from withdrawals. Today I had the mother of all migraines, probably attributed to withdrawals too. I really hope this time my recovery sticks. I’m back on day 1 here.

4 Likes

What are you doing to make it stick? Hope is not a plan of action? You can’t just hope it away. I suggest trying something new or different. Or doubling down on your efforts and work harder at it this time.

6 Likes

Things will get better when you stop trying and start doing. Just hoping doesn’t work (I’ve tried that), wishing failed miserably also. What does sober look like to you? Paint a picture in your mind of what a sober life looks like- not just the major stuff, but the day to day stuff. Does it look like the life you’re living? Time to start making some changes my friend. You have always got this place and our support. Best wishes to you

3 Likes

Hey there! You really have to put some major work in to stay sober. Make a plan and follow through on it no matter what. Don’t use no matter what. You have all of us for support but you have got to put the work in every day. I’m over 3 months sober, which is long for me (probably not that long for most others), but I still work at it every single day. If I didn’t I wouldn’t be on this app or be sober. It’s a whole lifestyle change. You can do it if I can, believe me!

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve reset many times. I think everyone has different reasons. Mine was that I felt better and tricked myself into it again.

Do some deep thinking while hung over and figure out the why. Even if we can’t stop drinking, why do we pick up at all?

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why.
Until I stopped living in the problem and started living in the solution, which for me has been AA.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent beginning! Take some time today to reflect on how you can keep away from that first drink… things you haven’t tried in your recovery just yet since the things you HAVE tried haven’t been 100% affective. I’m pulling for you. Blessings to you!

You are the only person who can make it stick.
Do you have a plan how to stay sober?
I’ve made myself a kind of list wich worked for me so far (my doc is alcohol).
Maybe it helps you to make one your own too.
Here is mine:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to check in sober.

I wish you well :heart:

2 Likes
  • 1 on the vitamin B complex and the melatonin. Changed the game for me.
1 Like