Sinclair Method

Hi everyone :slight_smile:
Have you ever heard about de Sinclair Method?
What do you think about it?
https://cthreefoundation.org/the-sinclair-method

It tends to be a controversial topic here because it involves continuing to drink (at least initially), which is counter to what most people are trying to do here. There are a lot of threads about it that you can find with the search function (magnifying glass icon in the top right).

I personally don’t know enough about the effectiveness, I only know the theory behind it. As such I have not read enough on it to have my skepticism of its real-world application assuaged.

On the other hand, I am happy for those people who have been helped by it.

3 Likes

A handful of people on this forum have tried it in the eight months thati have been here, they all failed unfortunately. I think alcoholism is just one of those all our nothing things that your just have to bite the bullet and get in and do I’m afraid. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Read up on it ,for me its crap

I think it might work for someone who has a bad habit of drinking too much…but for me, I am ADDICTED and a method that has me still drink will never help me.

1 Like

Here is a thread you may find of interest on TSM.

1 Like

I tried this method a couple of years ago for about a year. I stopped using it. I still have a bunch of the naltrexone pills.

At first it worked fine for cutting down use. I went from drinking uncontrollably to being able to stop and say “no more.” But that was only if I took it 1-2 hrs before drinking. Having said that, the fact of the matter is that I was still drinking and I didn’t want to stop. TSM doesn’t address the real emotional problems behind addiction. If you use it, you should aim for total abstinence as an end goal.

I don’t think it’s right to write TSM off. If you’re a very heavy user, with many years of heavy abuse, using TSM to wean yourself off of alcohol/opiates is safer than going cold turkey. But abstinence should always be the end goal. This is how it’s used for heroin addicts, with a lot of success.

The problem with people using it for alcohol is that they want to keep drinking “normally,” which isn’t possible. It shouldn’t be used as a band-aid for maintaining “normal drinking habits.” It gives you a false sense of security about your drinking (it did for me at least). I still wanted to go out and get drunk to forget who I was and escape from life. Plus, if you don’t take it correctly, or just forget about it, then it doesn’t do anything and you’re just drinking like usual.

TLDR; it can be a good tool, but aim for abstinence. Its better.

8 Likes

I appreciate hearing from someone who’s tried it, thank you. You make a number of good points in there.

2 Likes

It’s actually used quite differently when used to help with heroin addiction, i know because I take it. If I was to use heroin whilst it is in my system then I would be incredibly sick, it is used instead not in conjunction. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

My mistake, thanks for the correction!

1 Like