Sleep in recovery

Hello, I’m not too certain we have this in the UK, we don’t have access to sleeping pills. Your suggestion is worth considering though thank you :hugs:

Why does being healthy require such hard work :rofl: Sounds like you are trying really hard, hopefully you will get results soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I know… But I guess nothing good comes easy!?! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Some basic sleep hygiene (copied from Healthy Sleep Habits - Sleep Education by the AASM)

Follow these tips to establish healthy sleep habits:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
  • Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep.
  • Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
  • If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed. Go do a quiet activity without a lot of light exposure. It is especially important to not get on electronics.
  • Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
  • Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
  • Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
  • Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
  • Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
  • Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
  • Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
  • Avoid consuming caffeine in the afternoon or evening.
  • Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
  • Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

These might seem like nothing special. But they work. If you practise 'm all. I don’t follow all these rules myself and my sleep suffers as a consequence. For example, I check my phone when I wake up at night. Really bad. I read in bed. I shouldn’t really. We need to associate our beds with sleep (and with sex maybe), not with reading. I drink too much coffee too late in the day. I eat and drink too much too late at night.

When I drank I fell into a black hole when I went to bed, some sort of comatose state from which I woke -on average- some five hours later, hungover and often still under the influence and hungover. I never dreamt.

Then I got sober and a much more natural sleeping pattern emerged, with periods of deep sleep and lighter sleep following each other, dreaming which I had to get used to, waking up and falling asleep again, or sometimes not feeling asleep again. This happens till today. It’s very unusual for me not to be able to fall asleep, but I tend to wake up a lot at night.
For me it all comes down to my mental health. I sleep best when I’m not anxious, not depressed, when I generally feel good. That might seem like something very obvious, but it’s still worth considering. Good sleep comes with good health, mentally, physically, spiritually. So it might be a good idea to focus on that and good sleep will follow, if combined with a good bedtime routine and sleep hygiene.

3 Likes

I’m in the UK, pharmacies in England sell them over the counter, I got mine from ASDA pharmacy :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t get herbal stuff- ask for the active ingredient ones.

1 Like

This is really amazing thank you. I will try to implement everything!

1 Like

I never knew that you know!

I love that I’m not just passing out early at night anymore. I love being able to recall the entire events of the evening!
I’m not having too much of a hard time falling asleep but I’m awake a lot later than normal (probably because I’m lying in bed scrolling through this forum :grin:… So that’s a good thing because it’s helpful!)
The biggest issue for me is Im wide awake at 4:30am. Makes for a long day and only about 5 hours sleep which is not enough for me.

Does somebody know the Hello Better Sleep app? I got it from my psychiatrist as a prescription, because of my abuse history and former liver damage medication wasn’t an option.

I’m at phase 2 at the moment without caffeine and with sleep compression. That means I’m going to be a bitchy monster, why, as a precaution, one has to inform one’s social environment.

1 Like