Sleeping issues after quitting alcohol

I have used alcohol for a while and drank at least 2 litres of vodka a week. I pretty much blacked out every night. No I don’t need detox - I have gone a few days here and there; no sweats, no hallucinations, no nausea.

Now that I quit last night’s sleep was so horrible. How long does it tend to last until sleep becomes more normal?

2 Likes

It lasted about a month for me. The first week being the worst. Like 3 hours a night if I was lucky. Then it got a little better every day

1 Like

Gah! Ok thanks for your honesty.

1 Like

Mine lasted about two weeks.

1 Like

Haha. Yeah man, it kinda sucked. In hindsight, I was drinking a lot of coffee. And my life was in chaos. But I stuck it out. It did get better and it was well worth it

Damn…guess 2 weeks or 1 month is better than not living! I can do this.

Totally worth it!

1 Like

Yeah, you can do it. You’ll feel so much better. Sleep will be more restorative once you get used to being away from alcohol.

1 Like

I gave up all caffeine in the first few weeks.

I also put on science documentaries at a really low volume in the background.

3 Likes

I’d be awake all night watching the awesome science documentaries!

1 Like

Totally! It took me about a month of sleepless nights and headaches…but I’m the end, it’s a small price to pay!

1 Like

My sleep started improving after 2 weeks but about 45 days in and still getting better.

1 Like

About a month before it started to reset. I used melatonin, 5htp ( every 2-3 nights) and high doses of magnesium for a bit and it really helped.

1 Like

Thank you! Last night wasn’t actually that bad.

Thanks! I drank some chamomile tea and that seemed to help a bit.

1 Like

It lasted about a month. I was also instructed to cut down my coffee intake to only a cup AHHHH.

2 Likes

I tried my best not to drink soda at night!

2 Likes

still dont sleep long, but not tired during the day. must sleep deeply for about 4 hours.

1 Like

The insomnia can be real rough in thr beginning. Mine lasted about a month. I was a very heavy drinker for years, a half bottle a day.
Valerian root and melatonin helped a lot in the early days. As well as exercise and reduced caffeine intake. It’s not ideal but it’s worth it. Sleep deprivation can be really dangerous and seriously impact your judgment so it is something that I take seriously.

2 Likes