Slef harm relapse

Today i relapsed my self harm and it bled more yhrn ever and im just so dissapointed because i cant even keep a promise to my self. Its all bandaged now but im so scwred my psrents will see

1 Like

Do they know you have done it in the past. Would you consider them to be parents that you could go say, Look what I have done I need help.

4 Likes

Are you safe now? Maybe go see a doctor?

Addiction florish by secrets. So if you want it to stop talk about it and seek help. If you don’t feel safe enough to tell your parents maybe go see a schoolcounselor (if you still are at school) or tell another family member/ friend you trust. They can help you finding a good therapist to guide you. Don’t do this alone, you don’t have too! :heart:

2 Likes

I am still in school and i do tall to her soemtimes but i cant tell her anyrhing witllout her telling my parents. My parents know a little but they dont know how much or anything lioe that. I deffnstely dont think they knows hoe bad it is. But ive jsut started councelling and jm relaly hoping that will help.

2 Likes

Is your councelor someone you can open up to? You need someone to be really open at and who has expertice about self harm. Or maybe he or she can help you find a therapist who does. Therapist may not open up to your parents about what you tell him or her. They have doctor-patient confidentiality.

I agree with @SoberWalker. You should tell someone like your parents or counsellor, or another adult you can trust, that’s the only way they can help. If you don’t want to tell any of these people, you can talk to your doctor too. When I stopped self harming I definitely had help from other people in my life. It makes a difference.

I understand how it can be hard to talk to someone about it. It was difficult for me. I didn’t want my parents to know how much I was struggling. I didn’t want to worry them. I didn’t want for them to step in and try to take over everything to get me better. I wanted to show them that I can get through hard things by myself. I also knew that they hated seeing their kids getting hurt in any way.

But I went ahead and told them all about it (one at a time). I just hated feeling like I had to hide what was going on. I could tell that it hurt to hear, but there wasn’t any drama, just listening, and “how can I help”. Telling my therapist was a lot easier. Therapists generally are well-educated about self harm, know how to react and how to support you, and they’ve all seen it before.

Do you self harm because of how you feel? Learning new coping methods will help. It’s hard to just stop and do nothing else. The emotions still have to be dealt with somehow. But there are other things you can do that help, like exercise, mindfulness, meditation, grounding, breathing exercises, journalling, and more. Mindfulness and grounding are my go-to techniques when I’m most tempted to self harm.

1 Like

Please tell your parents. As a parent myself to 5 boys/young men, I would want them to tell me. :pray:t3: No judgement, just love and concern for my child.