Small victory - feeling more hopeful

Hi all. Hope everyone is having a great day. I wanted to share a little victory for me with everyone because this is the first time in years i have believable hope. I wrote a few times about my addictions and how my husband keeps trying to feed my addiction so he can continue his. The last several days have been really hard…lots of arguing, threats of divorce, etc. I realize i have to embark on the recovery journey on my own, but it’s really hard because we are both a messed up combination of addicts and codependent. Well, last night he finally agreed to get on board with me. I think he finally sees that im plowing ahead with recovery with or without him, and the possibility of divorce is real and imminent if he tries to deter me. He said he will join SMART recovery with me. We did a few exercises together today, he created his own 30 day goal list, and started a daily positive thought journal. Im really excited and hopeful. We are discussing tonight the best way to handle triggers and urges when they arise. Normally when we have the urge to use, we hint to each other then almost immediately cave. Now we are trying to figure out how to talk each other off a cliff. Im still making my recovery journey personal and im still trying to put myself first. As a result, should he not follow thru, i still have my ideals and goals steady and sturdy. Anyway, this may not sound like a big achievement, but for the moment im embracing the hope he will really walk this path with me. Thanks to those who have provided some excellent advice. I really take your personal thoughts to me to heart. I dont have too many friends, so having the connection on here means the world to me!

11 Likes

I have so many friends in the SMART recovery program. Yes - always put yourself first! That’s the only thing you can control at least - while trying to make other people happy or do things is a bit more difficult.

I wish you and your husband the best of luck.

1 Like

That’s great that he’s decided to get on board with your decision. Whether he sticks with it or not just remember you are worth it! Good luck and God bless to both of you!

2 Likes

Stay strong and ALWAYS put your sobriety first before anyone or anything else.

1 Like

Thank you!!

Thank you for the kind words!

I like SMART so far. I am totally into reshaping how i view myself and life. Im enjoying the cognitive exercises and the actual act of working on how to make me the best and strongest me possible! Let me know what u think of the program.

1 Like

I hear you, @Melrm! I am and will fight to continue to focus on me and my recovery. Instead of waking up and feeling anxious bout the weekend, i woke up feeling positive and ready to tackle any battle ahead. Thank u for your support!

2 Likes

We all have your back @Wantingmore :grin:

1 Like

@Wantingmore All you have to do is keep putting one foot forward; just for today, find and do recovery that works for you. We’ll love :purple_heart: you until you learn to love yourself. Then you pass that gift :gift: on to someone else.

1 Like

Aww. Thank you, @Melrm. Your suppport means so much to me! Have a wonderful weekend!

1 Like