SMART Group for Talking Sober

For those of us using the SMART recovery workbook. @Englishd and I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for all of us to share!

We can all work through the Handbook together since in person groups aren’t easily accessible to everyone! So we thought a thread would be a good solution.

You can find for a little over $10 through the SMART website. I posted the link to the shop below!

https://www.smartrecovery.org/shop/

8 Likes

Hi Brooke ,
I’m thinking of getting the work book for smart, I do go to AA but the group I go to is over an hour away and sometimes it isn’t accessible to get to as I don’t drive . Could u tell me a little bit about smart recovery ?

Continuing the discussion from AA/NA vs SMART:

SMART stands for self management and recovery training. It focuses a lot on self empowerment. In SMART itself, There’s no religious aspect or mention of a higher power and they don’t use any labels such as alcoholics or addicts. But if that’s something that is important to you and works for you, it’s encouraged.

SMART emphasizes four key aspects: (1) motivation, (2) refusing to act on urges, (3) handling life problems in a sensible and healthy manner rather than using other substances, and (4) finding and maintaining a healthy, positive lifestyle that is well balanced.

If you look up SMART recovery online, you’ll find their website with a ton more information and free worksheets.

6 Likes

So it seems like some others want to join in. We should wait for everyone to get their book. Then we can pick a section we all want to work on and pick a date to review it

3 Likes

Great!! Tag anyone else that you think might be interested.

1 Like

@Nicole_Roome

I think this might help, I know you are going through a little craziness with your job. Just a thought. Not saying you have to do this by any means. :slight_smile:

@Ericaj89 would you be interested?

@Willow I think you should at least try

@Scooter if you are still around

@Ninetales I’m not sure if you found a program or not

Thanks, Derek. I am interested in SMART, buy I’m trying WFS for now.

1 Like

I’m in. I’ll order the book once I have $10. Sad, I know.

2 Likes

I will figure out a way to send you pictures of the parts we are working on.

@Ninetales no rule that says you can’t do both (probably). I’m still going to be doing my regular regiment of AA and NA. At this point I’m on 3 committees and doing H&I so this will keep me super busy

4 Likes

What’s H&I?

Hospitals and institutions. Currently I take a couple meetings into rehabs.

2 Likes

Thanks. Sometimes im.not up on the lingo. Story of my life really…:grin:

Sounds good. I’ll order the book today.

Just got the kindle edition from Amazon for $7.99 :blush:

3 Likes

@anon37742172
https://www.smartrecovery.org/shop/product/books/smart-recovery-handbook-3rd-edition/

I’m interesting in participating. For whoever mentioned the meeting being too far away, they host onlinr voice and text meetings daily, often several times a day. I attend 3-4 a week myself. And since they are all facilitated by different people it’s a different experience every time.

im in waiting for my workbook to arrive